ChrisJM981

Strip & Clean AR-15

Does anybody know of a good video for proper stripping & cleaning an AR-15? Preferably youtube or a free one online. After watching this one I don't want to trust anybody's video unless someone who knows what they're doing can tell me it's okay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSGGY_KvVME This guy tried to lube his AR with K-Y jelly. He recommends "baptizing" the bolt with Pennzoil 10W-30 motor oil. :roll:

You don't need a video. Field strip the rifle as per TM 9-1005-249-10, the military manual available free lots of places on line. I've used ARs, M16s, and M4s for over 40 years. The only extra advice I can give is lube everything so it's shiny, not drippy. Lube the cam pin so it's drippy.

Stay clear of anyone who claims you need to periodically strip it totally down to individual parts or what some call detail stripping. The only time you need to take any gun totally apart is when it's broken. I've used these rifles in some absolutely horrible environments and alaways found I can clean it all out just by field stripping.

Great thanks guys. I'll take a look at those. I'm not looking to detail strip it. I'm going to get a .22lr conversion bolt and plan on dirtying it up. I want to make sure I'm thorough with my cleaning routine and lubrication so nothing wears out.

Great thanks guys. I'll take a look at those. I'm not looking to detail strip it. I'm going to get a .22lr conversion bolt and plan on dirtying it up. I want to make sure I'm thorough with my cleaning routine and lubrication so nothing wears out.

Avoid any type of heavy grease, even with the .22kit. i've switched over to Slip 2000 it's a little pricy, but its REALLY good stuff. One thing you may have a problem with is taking the unit out, grunge builds up around the chamber adaptor section of the .22 kit, and it can cause it to stick. A couple of drops of Kroil, or a shot of WD-40 will loosen it right up.

Avoid any type of heavy grease, even with the .22kit. i've switched over to Slip 2000 it's a little pricy, but its REALLY good stuff. One thing you may have a problem with is taking the unit out, grunge builds up around the chamber adaptor section of the .22 kit, and it can cause it to stick. A couple of drops of Kroil, or a shot of WD-40 will loosen it right up.

I use lithium grease in both of my ARs and AKs exclusivly for years. I run my guns hard and I have never had any issues. Hot, cold, dirty, wherever.

Mobil 1 oil... Literally high mileage stuff.

Clean with breakfree, lube the shit out of the BCG and throw a little down the buffer tube. Don't worry about over lubrication, your first shot will clear it all out.

Clean with breakfree, lube the **** out of the BCG and throw a little down the buffer tube. Don't worry about over lubrication, your first shot will clear it all out.

My friend warned me about over lubing the buffer tube. He said some stocks have a drainage hole where you shoulder the stock and that if you over lube it shoots out the hole and all over your shirt. I'm sure he used a lot. I was going to just take out the buffer and spring and give them a light coat of spray Rem Oil.

I used Power Blast to clean the bolt then sprayed it down with Rem Oil.

Clean with breakfree, lube the **** out of the BCG and throw a little down the buffer tube. Don't worry about over lubrication, your first shot will clear it all out.

My friend warned me about over lubing the buffer tube. He said some stocks have a drainage hole where you shoulder the stock and that if you over lube it shoots out the hole and all over your shirt. I'm sure he used a lot. I was going to just take out the buffer and spring and give them a light coat of spray Rem Oil.

I used Power Blast to clean the bolt then sprayed it down with Rem Oil.

ALL Stocks have that hole. people Grease the buffer spring to try and cut down the noise from the spring. there is one very popular school out there that advocated pumping wheel bearing grease into into the upper :shock: they destroyed 2 brand new rifles for a student that way. Rememebr Lubrication is twofold...cut down on friction, and CARRY AWAY particulates...grease holds particulates in, and can cause MORE wear than a thinner lube. Morot Oil, Rem Oil, Slip..i dont care what you use, but keep it WET while shooting and you'll run like a clock. Store dry, and shoot wet.

Does anyone who uses RemOil know how good it is at not burning off? I just recently started using RemOil on the outside of some guns as a rust barrier... but it seems a little too "thin" (for lack of a better word) to keep an AR bolt lubed up for heavy use.

Does anyone who uses RemOil know how good it is at not burning off? I just recently started using RemOil on the outside of some guns as a rust barrier... but it seems a little too "thin" (for lack of a better word) to keep an AR bolt lubed up for heavy use.

It wouldnt be my first choice..but its better than nothing..keep a bottle handy and KEEP IT WET..not Dripping per se..but visibly wet.

I wipe my guns down with a silicon cloth. I prefer Kleen Bore brand. It smells wonderful. If it didn't have such a wonderful aroma I'd have no motivation to clean my guns. :D

It wouldnt be my first choice..but its better than nothing..keep a bottle handy and KEEP IT WET..not Dripping per se..but visibly wet.

Thanks - I think I'll just stick to Slip. Has worked well for me so far.

I wipe my guns down with a silicon cloth. I prefer Kleen Bore brand. It smells wonderful. If it didn't have such a wonderful aroma I'd have no motivation to clean my guns. :D

I'll look it up - thanks

I'll look it up - thanks

Hoppe's makes one too... It just doesn't smell as cool. I noticed my Hoppe's silicone cloth dried out faster than the Kleen Bore. This is odd as the Hoppe's comes in a resealable plastic zipper bag.

Thanks - I think I'll just stick to Slip. Has worked well for me so far.

it's all i use anymore except for some Silicone/Teflon grease on the slide rails of my 1911's EVERYTHING else gets the slip.

I'll look it up - thanks