Sign in to follow this  
camoman1945

Stupid questions

Keep in mind I am a newbie.

1) The pistol in the gun shop case that the dealer is showing me. Is that the gun the dealer will sell me, after me and 100 other people handled it? Or is that just a show model?

2) How do I know the new gun I am buying from a dealer was not previous own? Meaning selling me a used gun but saying it new.

1) The pistol in the gun shop case that the dealer is showing me. Is that the gun the dealer will sell me, after me and 100 other people handled it? Or is that just a show model?

2) How do I know the new gun I am buying from a dealer was not previous own? Meaning selling me a used gun but saying it new.

#1.. THAT depends on the shop.. some will keep stok other than the case guns for sales, some will sell you what is in the case. YMMV. #2....every sale is recorded in the FFl's bound book, if he gets caught selling a used gun as New, EVEN if the original buyer walked out the door, then walked back in 30 seocds later without ever opening the box, he's looking at a whole lot of problems.

More often than not, you're getting what's in the case and on display. I'm not sure about all gun shops with attached ranges (since I've only bought from one), but Shore Shot wouldn't let me "test drive" a new pistol (only a used one). It was handled, probably a lot, but never fired buy prospective buyers.

When you buy, they'll put it in the retail plastic gun box with all the paperwork and such.

It's important to remember that new guns were still fired several times in testing and ballistics registration-- but if there's ever a doubt about whether you are getting what you're paying for (a new gun), you should probably pass on it.

What others have said about #1 have been my experience as well.

Regarding #2, after a while at this, you will be able to tell fairly quickly. My XD, with 2 boxes of ammo through it had visible wear on the barrel. In general, it's not worth the dealers hassle to try to pass off a used gun as new.

Any gun worth buying is like a car IMO.. meaning that if it is quality enough that it is worth buying, it will likely still be quality after it is used.. PLUS used it will be a lot cheaper.. buying used sames you a lot of cash..

PLUS used it will be a lot cheaper.. buying used sames you a lot of cash.

OP was talking about a gun shop passing off a used gun as new, at new gun price.

I pretty sure this falls into the category of fraud and could wind the dealer up in deep doo doo.

OP was talking about a gun shop passing off a used gun as new, at new gun price.

I pretty sure this falls into the category of fraud and could wind the dealer up in deep doo doo.

oh yeah i know... i guess i wasnt clear.. my point was more sure buy a gun new if you are getting a good deal.. sometimes you can buy a brand new gun for not much more than the same gun is used.. but if you can save money buying used from a reputable seller then that is the way to go.. as to his actual question.. the best advice is to deal with a REPUTABLE shop.. i have dealt with paul from arms & ammo on several occasions.. his prices are good and he is honest and up front..so the best advice to his actual question is to deal with a reputable seller.. ;)

oh yeah i know... i guess i wasnt clear.. my point was more sure buy a gun new if you are getting a good deal.. sometimes you can buy a brand new gun for not much more than the same gun is used.. but if you can save money buying used from a reputable seller then that is the way to go.. as to his actual question.. the best advice is to deal with a REPUTABLE shop.. i have dealt with paul from arms & ammo on several occasions.. his prices are good and he is honest and up front..so the best advice to his actual question is to deal with a reputable seller.. ;)

Some guns seem to keep their value better than others. Glocks, and XD's come to mind. I guess its supply and demand. Whereas you can get a mossberg 500 for next to nothing used.

Some guns seem to keep their value better than others. Glocks, and XD's come to mind. I guess its supply and demand. Whereas you can get a mossberg 500 for next to nothing used.

totally agree.. and then other guns brand new are so cheap that it is worth it just to buy them new.. in that instance my Saiga comes to mind.. I have bought and sold several both new and used.. and it didnt seem to make that much of a difference.. 8-)

it's also an FFL violation I believe..that kind of thing can cost someone their license.

it's also an FFL violation I believe..that kind of thing can cost someone their license.

good point... i think in dealing with an unethical dealer you probably wouldnt see a USED gun sold as NEW but what you might more see is a "shot out beat to shit gun" sold to a novice as a "like new in box low round count type gun"...

Forgot to mention up front - NOT a stupid question...

Buy used if you can. There are quite a few nice "nearly new" guns for sale. Check out Gunbroker.com and AuctionArms.com. Be aware of shipping and transfer fees if an item is out of state. If you need/want more information, ask me or anyone else.

Just so you fully understand, I bought a 12 ga pump shotgun for $75 on gunbroker, and just last week I bought a 22 semiauto rifle on gunbroker for $19 (YES, the rifle works). Both items show wear, but none of that wear seems to impact function as of yet.