savageshooter

Rode my bike to Shore Shot for the first time w/gun and ammo

After talking with some of the guys at Shore Shot about transporting on a motorcycle, we all seemed to be in agreement that it's legal to so as long as we kept the gun(s) and ammo separate. One person mentioned that calls have been made to the NJSP, and we had their blessing as long as we applied the transport laws.

It was too nice of a day to drive in the GSP holiday traffic on Friday. I wanted to ride my bike there via the back roads. I called the NJSP Firearms Unit before I left and I told the Detective how I planned to transport; empty gun locked in a case, then locked in one saddlebag, ammo in a box taped shut in the other locked saddlebag. He said that my approach exceeded their requirements. I took his name and printed out the transport laws.

Nice ride from Belmar, into Farmingdale to Herbertsville Road south to SS with No diversions.

No need to decide whether to ride or shoot. Just ride to shoot.

2 of my favorite things to do 8-) .

Which NJ statute states that the ammo must be separate? I have been looking for it, but have only been able to find that the firearm(s) must be unloaded and in a fastened case, gun box or tied package. Does the requirement reside somewhere else?

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

©In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(4)A person from keeping or carrying about a private or commercial aircraft or any boat, or from transporting to or from such vessel for the purpose of installation or repair a visual distress signaling device approved by the United States Coast Guard.

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Yikes. There you go with that "S" word again.

I have finally learned (FROM YOU MOSTLY.. LOL) that the S word is NOT in the actual law.. it is merely a suggestion that people keep pushing for some strange reason.. lol

Ok people, I haven't been a member here that long to know what the "S" word means.

From the NJ Police website:

Q6.

How do you transport firearms?

A6.

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Ok people, I haven't been a member here that long to know what the "S" word means.

Q6.

A6.

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

I have been wondering about this issue for quite some time. It is now clear to me. The NJSP website is not necessarily wrong, they just don't distinguish between inter-state and intra-state requirements. Those are guidelines where, if followed, will keep you safe if you are traveling in NJ, to NJ or through NJ. I am sure that the question is meant to inform out of state travelers as well as NJ residents. It's not bad guidance, but it is a bit misleading for those of us who are merely going to the range from an NJ residence.

Is that the way you guys see it?

Ride to shoot, I likey! I have a FJR1300 and a FZ1000, so got saddlebags for handguns and ammo!

Thinking cowboy like (dumb-ass me, this is NJ!), I actually had bought gun racks for motorcycle! Of course, I had to return them and the midwayusa guy laughed at the NJ laws. Oh, well, till I buy a ranch in Montana ...

Now, I wonder how to carry long guns on a motorcycle. Maybe strap a locked round case? I figure, a picture of a fishing rod on the outside will calm the tattlers/gawkers and the NJSP.

Ride to shoot, I likey! I have a FJR1300 and a FZ1000, so got saddlebags for handguns and ammo!

Thinking cowboy like (dumb-a** me, this is NJ!), I actually had bought gun racks for motorcycle! Of course, I had to return them and the midwayusa guy laughed at the NJ laws. Oh, well, till I buy a ranch in Montana ...

Now, I wonder how to carry long guns on a motorcycle. Maybe strap a locked round case? I figure, a picture of a fishing rod on the outside will calm the tattlers/gawkers and the NJSP.

Probably not a bad idea. which this of course wouldnt be practical for a MC, I used to suggest to friends who travelled a lot to Cowboy Action matches that they buy one of those Golf-bag hardside cases to keep their guns in. Especially when checking into a Hotel for the night. One golf bag case will hold soft-cased guns for 2-3 shooters, and you can walk down the hallway without attracting attention

...I have been wondering about this issue for quite some time. It is now clear to me. The NJSP website is not necessarily wrong, they just don't distinguish between inter-state and intra-state requirements. Those are guidelines where, if followed, will keep you safe if you are traveling in NJ, to NJ or through NJ. I am sure that the question is meant to inform out of state travelers as well as NJ residents. It's not bad guidance, but it is a bit misleading for those of us who are merely going to the range from an NJ residence.

Is that the way you guys see it?

My post from another thread:

The state police site on weapon/ammo transportation

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

are guidelines, SOME of which are based on NJ law.

The following guidelines are provided...

Specifically:

...If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console..

The way I interpret that, the guidelines say the ammo and the firearm can be in the SAME locked container.

The *LAW* starts here (2C:39-1):

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=220725&Depth=2&depth=2&expandheadings=on&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&record={1A38}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42

Regarding legal transport of firearms, the *LAW* says:

...All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances...

I haven't been able to find anything in the *STATUTES* on the transportation of ammunition. Has anyone else?

If ammunition transportation is not specifically defined in the statutes then my interpretation is that there is NO restriction on how you transport ammo that is not "loaded" into a firearm.

Q6.

A6.

that is just the problem.. that is a SUGGESTION based on what they would LIKE you to do.. but most of us on here through enlightenment of one particular forum member have come to the consensus that this suggestion lacks any legal merit..

I'm open to any replies mentioned in this thread, thanks for the contributions.

The question has come up more than once from people who ride, so it's good to get any feedback from experienced people.

I feel that I have to be on top of the transport laws because some local police officers may not be. No offense to hard working LEO's, but keeping a copy of the State Police guidelines with me is good practice should the need arise to produce them.