It will work in either gun. The point of impact will be lower if you're shooting heavier bullets. Velocity will be higher than heavier bullets, expansion much more dramatic, and penetration probably less.

No reason not to use it in either gun.

I'd use it in the S&W. Light bullet / high velocity. Twist in the rifle may be too fast for these. They are pretty much a defensive round for handguns. Kudos to your wife - wish I got presents like that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The issue with a light bullet is not forcing cone related. The reason applies to J frame guns because the recoil could result in bullet jump which would jam the cylinder. S&W discourages the use of bullets lighter than 125 gr in the J frames. The barrels are stamped.

Not sure if this is true but I have heard of forcing cone issues (cracking and erosion) in S&W .357 revolvers from using bullets lighter than 125g

That's with k frame S&Ws and it applies to anything lighter than about 140 gr.

Remember that the S&W K frame can withstand a lot of abuse. You do not want to feed a steady stream of light, full power 357 bullets through them though. If you look at the bottom of the forcing cone on a K frame you'll see it is flat on the bottom (unlike the N and L frame revolvers), reducing the strength of the cone in the 6 o'clock position. Light, fast 357 loads will eventually crack the cone there. Do not worry about putting a couple of boxes of it through any K frame now and then. K frames are also not built to withstand constant heavy 357 loads of any weight. They can be shot loose eventually (why S&W created the L frame). This is not a problem exclusive to S&W though. The same thing happened to Colt Pythons. The upside to S&W revolvers is that a ton of gunsmiths can work on them. Gunsmiths for Colt Pythons are getting rare. Remember it's the cumulative effects that cause problems. Not many of us shoot enough to ever worry about this stuff.

That said, get a Marlin 357 lever gun. I have one and it is a blast.