Matt

I have a friend who owns a farm in PA, can I travel

to and shoot at his farm with my guns? handguns and long guns? only long guns? None of the above? I do NOT have a Florida CCW (I'm not asking if I can carry, I know I cannot, Im just throwing this in there so people don't assume I do).

to and shoot at his farm with my guns? handguns and long guns? only long guns? None of the above? I do NOT have a Florida CCW (I'm not asking if I can carry, I know I cannot, Im just throwing this in there so people don't assume I do).

Yes you can bring rifles, shotguns & pistols. Keep then unloaded and in the trunk for transport. I know pistols must be in the trunk unloaded without a carry permit. I don't remember for rifles & shotguns.

If you follow the rules for transporting that are required by NJ you will be covered in PA. NJ rules are stricter than PA. So in PA you are just doing overkill.

Well im not referring to passing through PA, im talking about stopping and shooting (on private property), wasn't sure if this changed anything law wise.

If you follow the rules for transporting that are required by NJ you will be covered in PA. NJ rules are stricter than PA. So in PA you are just doing overkill.

Well im not referring to passing through PA, im talking about stopping and shooting (on private property), wasn't sure if this changed anything law wise.

Traveling to target shoot is a legal behavior.

The issue I think that isn't clarified is traveling to CCW in a different state.

Then everyone with a non res CCW from FL is committing a crime going to PA?

Nope. They're going to PA to:

have a good meal

see a show

visit the historic battlegrounds

visit friends with a farm

take a lesson in hog slaughtering

see three mile island

make a pilgrimage to Cabela's

etc.

But they're not going for the sole purpose of carrying a gun just to see how it feels.

have a good meal

see a show

see three mile island

etc.

But they're not going for the sole purpose of carrying a gun just to see how it feels.

Actually, none of those things listed are legal purposes either.

Plain and simple, if you have a gun in the car, locked and unloaded, Florida CCW in pocket, headed to see a historical sight and figured you'd CCW while there,you are commiting a crime.

If you were stopped by a cop and it is discovered you have a gun, you better damn sure say you're headed to a gun range (under NJ law) or transporting to a friend's house (Under FOPA protection) otherwise you are committing a crime.

NJ law allows you to transport handguns only to and from a shooting range, gun shop for repair, home from a gun shop when you bought it, etc.

have a good meal

see a show

see three mile island

etc.

Actually, none of those things listed are legal purposes either.

Plain and simple, if you have a gun in the car, locked and unloaded, Florida CCW in pocket, headed to see a historical sight and figured you'd CCW while there,you are commiting a crime.

If you were stopped by a cop and it is discovered you have a gun, you better damn sure say you're headed to a gun range (under NJ law) or transporting to a friend's house (Under FOPA protection) otherwise you are committing a crime.

NJ law allows you to transport handguns only to and from a shooting range, gun shop for repair, home from a gun shop when you bought it, etc.

people say this all the time.. BUT doesn't NJ LOSE jurisdiction as you LEAVE the state.. meaning.. can they REALLY charge you in the following situation..

"why do you have a firearm in the car"

"because PA recognizes my right to LEGALLY carry a firearm and that is where I am going"

I KNOW the GUT reflex will be to say they CAN prosecute you.. but do you really think that they can.. would this not fall under FEDERAL laws of travel since you are going from state to state..

the gun is legal in NJ

the gun is legal to CARRY in PA

your means of travel are direct from one point to the other

that IMO follows the law in every way imaginable..

[

people say this all the time.. BUT doesn't NJ LOSE jurisdiction as you LEAVE the state.. meaning.. can they REALLY charge you in the following situation..

"why do you have a firearm in the car"

"because PA recognizes my right to LEGALLY carry a firearm and that is where I am going"

I KNOW the GUT reflex will be to say they CAN prosecute you.. but do you really think that they can.. would this not fall under FEDERAL laws of travel since you are going from state to state..

the gun is legal in NJ

the gun is legal to CARRY in PA

your means of travel are direct from one point to the other

that IMO follows the law in every way imaginable..

No, it doesn't.

FOPA protects you only under certain circumstances, such as transporting from your house to a vacation home in NC, etc.

NJ law only allows you to transport a handgun under certain circumstances, as stated above. None of which involve bringing it to another state to carry it for self defense.

Beat the dead horse all you want, but if you get stopped with a handgun 10 feet from the border and you tell the cop "well I'm going shopping in King of Prussia and figured I'd CCW while there" you will find yourself in a metric fuckton of legal trouble if the cop calls you on it.

It's like this in a few other places too. Some states and cities have been getting away with violating even FOPA for years, such as NYC, MA.

It's all a moot point anyway. I'm not sure what idiot would tell the cop anything besides "I'm on the way to a gun range" or "I'm on the way to my friend's house to spend the night"

I cannot find any case on LexisNexis (legal research database) of a person being charged in NJ for bringing a firearm outside the state for purposes other than going to a PA range. So I think we can put it to rest that it is a crime to bring a handgun to PA to carry for a day (though I can't imagine why you would want to, just for a day).

NJ's authority ceases at the state border. What you do with your guns in PA is none of NJ's business.

I have already been down this road. A long time ago, a cop here in NJ told me that bringing firearms across state lines is interstate gun running (his words, not mine). Naturally being scared, I inquired with the PA Attorney General's office. They told me that it is not a violation of law to bring a gun into the state if the gun is legal, the possession of it is legal, and it is transported for legal purposes. That was my first experience of a cop being 100% wrong.

So, to answer your initial question, yes, you may bring firearms to PA to shoot on your friend's property (assuming there are no restrictions on shooting on private property). Just exercise some common sense--transport unloaded, in the trunk (or in locked container), etc.

well here.. to beat a dead horse... but REALLY do NOT see the issue..

The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:

A.Check - I legally own the gun in NJ

The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;

B.Check - I am legally allowed to posses AND carry in the state I am going to

The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;

C.Check - I am licensed to carry the firearm for the PA recognized lawful purpose of self defense

The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose

D.Check - Obviously it would be in NJ

The firearm is unloaded

E.Check - NJ law will be followed the entire time in NJ

The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

F.Check - NJ law will be followed the entire time in NJ

The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

G.Check - NJ law will be followed the entire time in NJ

If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;

H.

The person is not

1.Check

a convicted felon

2.Check

a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or

3.Check

an illegal alien

I

The person has not

1.Check

been adjudicated to be a mental defective

2.Check

been committed to a mental institution

3.Check

been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or

4.Check

renounced his United States Citizenship

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

What comes into play more, is not what FOPA says, but if NJ will give a shit about it. Supremacy Clause be damned.

After that, it depends how much money you'd like to spend on lawyers to get yourself out of trouble. Plenty of people have been wrongfully violated in places like MA, NYC, etc. when just passing through and had to spend a pretty penny getting themselves out of trouble (and never even got the gun back).

Sometimes, proving your innocence ($$$$$) may as well be the punishment.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Categories of Firearms Reciprocity

Under Pennsylvania law, there are six categories of firearms reciprocity status.

Category 1: States that have entered into written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania. (Title 18 Pa.C.S.A.