Sign in to follow this  
PeteF

Let me see if I have this correct.

According to NJ law

If I travel to one of our local ranges that rents handguns, and then ask to look at an unloaded Beretta 92FS or purchase some hand gun ammunition I am required to show a FID.

Now if I don't have a FID, they can't even let me touch the gun and would not be able to sell me the ammo. :naughty:

But, there would be no issue letting me rent the gun and buy ammo for the handgun, heck they would even show me how to load and shoot it. :D

Just want to make sure I got this correct. :facepalm:

Pete,

You need an FID to purchase a handgun or handgun ammo for the logs.

Shops requiring you to show your FID are just preventing themselves from wasting time on people who cannot buy anyway.

When you are renting the gun, the firearm is not leaving the range, and range bought ammo is being shot there.

The FID (or HG purchase permit) is actually required to handle a firearm is actually a law or maybe a "guidance", I can seem to find it, but I've seen it posted at Meltzer's Sporting Goods. Think about it, whats the first thing the salesman asks if you ask to look at a gun? "Do you have your FID?"

The reason I asked this was the other day, I went into Dicks to look at a 10/22, when I got there I realized I had cleaned my wallet out and put my FID away. The clerk would not let me handle the rifle.

Let me rephrase a little bit.

If I rent a gun and buy ammo to shoot, No ID required.

If I walked into the range with my own handgun and wanted to purchase 50 rounds to shoot they would need my FID and log the ammo sale.

Well damn, I write BIG! I demand that all boxes on all forms comply with my large letters. It never fails, 3/4 of the way filling in a box my letters start to crunch together because I started too big. I also need ginkgo biloba to remember how to spell my middle name. But seriously, they already know this is NJ.

I spell out everything completely on firearm apps. Road, street, middle name, date... etc... they don't like stuff abbreviated at all.

My recent experience at Dick's included having to write out "New Jersey" not just "NJ" in that tiny box for state on forms. They do have some of their own rules there.

The form asks you to spell it out in the directions..