Tom-NJ2AS

Pistol Pemits Expiring

Guys, my pistol permits are expiring this week. Things have come up where i had to use my gun savings for toher family needs. I really do not want to buy a gun on a credit card. i am done using them. Does anyone offer layaway so i do not have to get an extension?

thanks

In my town 2 month extensions are free, and we have up to 10 days from the original expiration date to apply. According to the detective I spoke with, It could be done while you wait.

Permits are good for 90 days, and then a 90 day extension. Not 2 months.

As far as layaways, most ffl's I would figure would offer that.

In my town 2 month extensions are free, and we have up to 10 days from the original expiration date to apply. According to the detective I spoke with, It could be done while you wait.

Plus the "time" of purchase will be when the gun is paid in full and picked up..... NOT when you put the deposit on it..... so your permits will be expired regardless...

Plus the "time" of purchase will be when the gun is paid in full and picked up..... NOT when you put the deposit on it..... so your permits will be expired regardless...

I guess that answers my question. I didnt know if i could put it on layaway, but they mark the permit purchased or something

I guess that answers my question. I didnt know if i could put it on layaway, but they mark the permit purchased or something

I know of one store (which isn't around anymore btw ???) who would allow you to put stuff on layaway and if it was multiple handguns, would fill them all out at the same time (pre-OGAM)..

that would be a toughie...

reason being, if they do a nics on you now, it is your gun, however for any guns they are holding at their store, has to be on their books. As a result, for you to get it back, you need another pistol permit.

Only way I can think of it, you take the frame, the dealer keeps the slide?

that would be a toughie...

reason being, if they do a nics on you now, it is your gun, however for any guns they are holding at their store, has to be on their books. As a result, for you to get it back, you need another pistol permit.

Only way I can think of it, you take the frame, the dealer keeps the slide?

An FFL is allowed to safekeep a firearm for an individual. No NICS check is required to pick it up. At least that is my understanding.

When I got mine extended, the clerk just put them in the typewriter, x'd out the old date and typed in the new date, initialed the change and that was it. It took less than 5 minutes.

Maybe i will call them and see if my wife can drop them off. Hard for me to leave work.

Thanks guys

It really is as simple as the police department marking the permit as "extended". Mine didn't even have the original issue date changed -- they just took a pen and marked them. Also, my girlfriend dropped the permits off and picked them up again after the extension. Give it a shot. At worst you're in the same situation. But it'll probably get you 90 more days for very little effort ;)