Sign in to follow this  
Story

Dumbing down : Camden Closing Library System

CAMDEN, N.J. - New Jersey's most impoverished city will close all three branches of its public library at year's end unless a rescue can be pulled off.

Camden's library board says the libraries won't be able to afford to stay open past Dec. 31 because of budget cuts from the city government. The city had its subsidy from the state cut.

The library board president says the library system, which opened in 1904, is preparing to donate, sell or destroy its collections, including 187,000 books.

Board president Martin McKernan says keeping the books around would pose a fire hazard.

:roll:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_n ... 100806-apx

Put up more prisons, teach kids bad things are good, and good things are bad, feed them crap all the time, and put them in a public/private school that is based on an outdated agricultural calender. Then sit back and wonder why society is so out of whack.

Hey now, Camden isn't all that bad. My wife works at Cooper and all those gunshot wounds keep her in a secure job!!

It's actually a pretty amazing place. I like to drive over to see her from time to time at work. It's like taking a quick trip to a 3rd world country.

Seriously though, the education system in the US as a whole is in really bad shape. I am not sure what the stats are on Camden, but a few weekends ago I was listening to a radio show that stated only 50% of the students in Philadelphia actually graduate.

I will try to keep an ear out for where the books are being auctioned off. I too have an interest to build my library here at the house.

I think that a more viable solution would be to just close the entire city of Camden..

How about the people that use the library pay for it... oh wait... thats just for sports :roll:

All joking aside... I think the internet is going to SMOKE the public library system sooner or later.

Most people who pay taxes do no live in Camden...just a hunch.

Also, I agree there is a lot of info out there on the web. However, there is just something to having a book in your hands. That is one of the main reasons I will not buy a Kimble.