Scrap

Does anyone sell or do the work for Saigas in NJ?

If theres combatants and dead bodies everywhere as you said, then I'de say the chances are just as good that you would find soviet style arms/ammo. Also, you had no manfunctions with 556 but did you go swimming with it or anything? Pack it with mud? Im sure a torture test of 5.56 vs the other 2 calibers would show the 5.56 lacking.

If you think 5.56 will be everywhere in a SHTF scenario, then that means so will ARs, AR ammo, AR parts. So if you want to go by your theory of availability for the end of the world kinda dealio, may as well get a :o AR :o

Just to compare the availability of the two rounds in a government failure type situation..

5.56/223

* Citizens

* Local Law enforcement

* Military

* NATO troops

* Many "invading/helping" nations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_5. ... O_firearms

7.62x39

* Citizens

* Invading Somali pirates?

you simply can NOT compare the availability of the two rounds.. to even imply that they will be in similar supply is to ignore logic and address the situation with a bias.. As I have stated on more than one occasion the 7.62x39 IS a superior battle round, but its lack of availability in a government failed type situation makes me interested in pursuing a rifle chambered in something more common.. and an AK series gun in 5.56 is NOT something new..

there are SEVERAL soviet AK series rifles in 5.56 and as far as I know the majority of them are 16 inch..

I am not arguing that 223 is better.. I am simply stating that the investment of $300ish into a rifle that would be INCREDIBLY reliable, AND common caliber is worth the cost.. thats all.. ESPECIALLY if someone already is familiar with AK series guns..

train how you fight...

fight how you train...

having a particular weapon system become second nature is a GOOD thing VS having to search for a weapon you are NOT familiar with..

there are SEVERAL soviet AK series rifles in 5.56 and as far as I know the majority of them are 16 inch..

.223/5.56 out of a 16" AK barrel is just as impotent as .223/5.56 out of a 16" AR barrel. :lol:

One thing I never understood is the commercial appeal of M4gery rifles. The M4 is a short barreled 14.5" rifle, the M16 is a 20" full size rifle. For some reason, the most popular civillian "AR" is probably the M4gery clones that have a 16" barrel and shorter handguards/sight radius to try and look like an M4. It's a shame so many AR owners sell themselves short with a barrel that neuters their terminal ballistics and a shorter sight radius for no reason.

.223/5.56 out of a 16" AK barrel is just as impotent as .223/5.56 out of a 16" AR barrel. :lol:

One thing I never understood is the commercial appeal of M4gery rifles. The M4 is a short barreled 14.5" rifle, the M16 is a 20" full size rifle. For some reason, the most popular civillian "AR" is probably the M4gery clones that have a 16" barrel and shorter handguards/sight radius to try and look like an M4. It's a shame so many AR owners sell themselves short with a barrel that neuters their terminal ballistics and a shorter sight radius for no reason.

1) Everyone else has one so you might as well join the cool kids

2) It handles better in close quarters.

You can hit targets at 1000+ Yards with 223 and 24" bull barrel fairly easily. It doesn't even have to be that special a barrel. But good luck lugging that around.

If it was legal I'd get a SBR Krink in a second. Mostly because they're cool though. ;)

On that note, beautiful krink totalabuse, is that the 5.45? You build that, If not who did the work?

ETA: I'm not a fan of the M4 style, but that's mostly because I don't like the look of the barrel profile. But obviously I'm in the minority. :)

Any mags work. Just use the $15 10 rounders from century, or get some polish steel tantal mags and get them welded to 15 rounds.

I have actually been wanting a Polish Tantal for some time now, are they NJ Legal? All I see them with are these thin metal stocks, I guess they're some sort of folding stock,. and truth be told I would not want one of those anyway, they look so stupid to me, but I would love a Polish rifle, family history there.. I read somewhere Poland made every good weapons ?

Glenn that Plum colored wood is very nice... Nice subdued color and classiness.

and I apologize for the million questions, I did not mean to start a caliber war or a NATO vs. Commie etc.... Just learning here.. and obviously there is plenty of knowledge to be had here so , I appreciate it cause I enjoy reading it./

The tantal keyholing has been resolved as far as I know. Also, the other polish option would be one of the 1960 milled 47's that century is making which I hear are very nice. But its not 5.45....so depends what you want.

Thanks for the wood compliment :) Kinda wish it was a hair lighter and a hair redder, though. But I wont mess with it.