Sign in to follow this  
Pew Pew Plates

Making a single shot 7.62x25

Hey ted, this may be up your ally!

Ive heard of decent accuracy out of those rossi/NEF break open rifles in .308 with chamber inserts shooting 7.62x25 (yeah I know bore diameters are different). How hard would it be to set it up so that it doesnt extract the whole insert, but just the empty 7.62x25 case? Are any of you familiar with these rifles? It would be a fun plinker. Ideally I could get the Mcace guy (or whatever the site name is) to make a 7.62x39 to 7.62x25 adaptor. Less bullet jump and proper bore diameter. Hmmmm...

Glenn, im a bit of an x25 junkie myself and i've played around with those very same inserts in several Mosin's with poor results. The inserts i used were from sportsmans guide and the first and most annoying issue is that the fired shells stick in the inserts something awful. I had to bring a dowel and a hammer to drive the fired case out of the insert every single time! I then resorted to liberally oiling the insert which allowed the shell to be removed easier, but never did it just "fall out". Secondly, regarding accuracy, it was pretty poor. I'm not sure if its that the bore was substantially different enough to have the rifling engage the bullet or the spin rate is all wrong but shooting this from a rest at a paltry 25 yards produced a very inconsistent pattern. I tried it first with a sewer pipe bore M44 (slugged at .314) and after getting frustrated with that, i tried a tight Finn M39 (slugged at .310) and the groups did not shrink at all. The upside is that its super quiet and the "recoil" is non-existant. If it worked well with a particular gun, it would be great for training or plinking.

Now i know the x25 can be accurate as i have seen good groups with my x25 pistols and my new x25 AR upper but these inserts with the long guns just couldn't produce. I would be hesitant to buy anything "converted" that didn't have some sort of accuracy guarantee, otherwise its truly a crapshoot. :lol:

G/L with the mcace guy, i've been trying to contact him for years but he never replies. It was then that i saw the adapters that SG was selling and jumped on those. I have some extra, new in package, adapters that i bought but i wont be using them. I'll part with one if you're interested in experimenting.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=650814