vjf915

"Long range" rifle...

thats the more reason to drool over one..

It really is worth all the money though. =)

Surprised at you Maks.

You deal with people's personal finances all the time. If anyone should know that something is worth as much as people are willing to pay for it, it should be you.

Surprised at you Maks.

You deal with people's personal finances all the time. If anyone should know that something is worth as much as people are willing to pay for it, it should be you.

When it comes to guns, all reason and rationality is suspended :rolleyes:

For what its worth I went through this dilemma the past few months.

I wanted a rifle that would push a heavier bullet than are usually loaded into 62 gr. .223 rounds I load for my AR. Recently I have found that the time I have to go tot he range has almost always been days where the wind is rather gusty and unpredictable. I came to the conclusion that I wanted a bullet that would be pushed around less than the .223 so I moved up to the .308 win.

After deciding caliber I had to decide between semi-auto or bolt. Since my ammo budget is limited and I have developed a taste for precision shooting I decided a bolt gun would be more appropriate because when shooting my Bushmaster AR I ten to get a little trigger happy. While that may be ok with .223, an AR in .308 would make my ammo costs go through the roof.

I am proud to say that I am the owner of a new Remington 700 .308 with a 26 inch heavy varmint barrel and I could not be more pleased with my purchase.

I agree with the Remington 700 Varmint, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Steyr SSG 69 (there are several versions, I prefer the PII).

Steyr_SSG_69_PII.jpg

The Austrian military uses them as sniper rifles (and some other countries). I don't like the 5 rnd mags, but they have 10 rnd mags that are good (aftermarket just came out and are better than the old factory mags).

From personal experience, on a bench rest, it will shoot a ragged hole at 200 yds.

You can also get a McMillan stock for them.