Sign in to follow this  
AGFL

Bushmaster ACR

I looked at few Bushmaster ACR sold in NJ. I was told they are NJ compliant but it has A-2 style flash hider. Unless I'm mistaken, flash hiders are illegal in NJ. Does anyone own ACR or FFL that sells ACR in NJ know any specifics to this?

post-2400-084613000 1285578067_thumb.jpg

The one that I handled didn't have the bottom ports machined.

That is what makes it an A2 "AK Man". An A1 flashhider has the slots all the way around.

The one that I handled didn't have the bottom ports machined.

+1

I use the standard: If the exit hole is bullet size, it is a muzzle break. If you can stick your pinky in the end, it is a flashhider.

I looked at few Bushmaster ACR sold in NJ. I was told they are NJ compliant but it has A-2 style flash hider. Unless I'm mistaken, flash hiders are illegal in NJ. Does anyone own ACR or FFL that sells ACR in NJ know any specifics to this?

There are NJ legal ACRs.

That is what makes it an A2 "AK Man". An A1 flashhider has the slots all the way around.

+1

I use the standard: If the exit hole is bullet size, it is a muzzle break. If you can stick your pinky in the end, it is a flashhider.

There are NJ legal ACRs.

I looked at few ACRs sold at West Creek Hardware and they all have A2 flash hiders. Ports are only on top. I can definitely stick my pinky in the exit hole.

Some ARs in Shoreshot also have identical flash hiders so I'm assuming this type of flash hider is legal but I would like some expert advise on this.

I looked at few ACRs sold at West Creek Hardware and they all have A2 flash hiders. Ports are only on top. I can definitely stick my pinky in the exit hole.

Some ARs in Shoreshot also have identical flash hiders so I'm assuming this type of flash hider is legal but I would like some expert advise on this.

I found a picture that is exact match. It is call A21 "partial cage" flash hider. Picture attached.

post-2400-022398000 1285617632_thumb.jpg

You can always have a muzzle device replaced with a compliant one... muzzle devices have to be permanently pinned anyway, which the ACRs do not have. So, its a matter of buying a compliant muzzle device, and having it permanently attached (cost of muzzle device + gun smithing service).

Otherwise, the "Basic" ACR configuration is NJ legal, as it has no bayonet lug, and already has a fixed stock.

Flash hiders are not illegal. Its a flash hider and/or threaded muzzle to accommodate

a flash hider in conjunction with one or more evil feature on a semi automatic firearm capable of accepting a detachable magazine that is illegal :thsmiley_deadhorse:

You can always have a muzzle device replaced with a compliant one... muzzle devices have to be permanently pinned anyway, which the ACRs do not have. So, its a matter of buying a compliant muzzle device, and having it permanently attached (cost of muzzle device + gun smithing service).

Otherwise, the "Basic" ACR configuration is NJ legal, as it has no bayonet lug, and already has a fixed stock.

That's what I thought!

I guess I will have to find a gunsmith. thank you guys.

If you want a SCAR 17, then hold out for one. They are a bit pricier, and require a bit more effort to make it NJ compliant-- but its a totally different beast then an ACR... in terms of caliber, ergonomics, accessories... quality.

But since you inquire specifically about the enhanced ACR, I'm curious of why the enhanced specifically. I figure it would be easier to just get a basic (fixed stock already), and when the railed fore end if released, you can pick that up (and have both types of fore ends)... and save yourself something like $200 or more (since you can't run an AAC muzzle device, or utilize the ACR folding stock).

ETA:

Checking Bushmaster's site, they apparently have just released a "State Compliant" version. It specifically has an Izzy muzzle brake that is permanently attached, and ships with a 10 round magazine. MSRP is the same as the "Basic" configuration at $2685 (which is ridiculous :facepalm:).

They also have the ACR tri-rail in both colors for sale as well for $125: http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=11