Pew Pew Plates

Are the towns required to send out questionnaires to references?

My friend is in Nutley. Submitted paperwork late last week and they told him 4 DAYS for his pistol permits. Only took his application form, saying the SPS-66 wasnt needed (mental health consent form). Anyways, he is trying to figgure out if he will really have the permits wednesday like they said, or if they are full of crap. I am his refrence and never got anything in the mail yet. I'de say this is the best indicator of how things are moving, since if they are required then he is def. not getting it wednesday.

So, are all towns required to send the letter to the listed refrences?

Don't think so. My town sent out reference forms for FID, but when I went in to apply for more permits, nothing was sent out no calls made to references. I'm pretty sure the references are an "at police discretion" thing. If they have recent info on you why would they need to get the same info again. It seems like Nutley PD "gets it".

The reference names are entered right on the STS-033 Form by the applicant. It is a required field. Contact or letters should be sent to them as per the NJSP manual. The Mental Health Form is also a requirement each time an application is submitted. Permits can't be issued prior to 7 days from the application date. Your PD is f***** up and doesn't follow the law. Good for you.

Your PD is f***** up and doesn't follow the law.

aren't they all? Hell if the ones that aren't going to follow the law and issue it in the 30 day period I'll be sad to see a department not following the law in the other way get in trouble. Knowing this state though...

So the official protocall is to make some sort of contact to the refrences, but some down dont if its a subsequent pistol permit? So I guess waiting for contact is an unreliable method of seeing how far the permits got so far.

If this is true, I wish I lived in nutley!

He got his permits today, 3 days after application. No mental health form, no refrence checks. Damn wtf!

Probably ran his previous info and got no hits. The system is redundant and outdated for the technology available. 3 days is longer than it should take, but it's obviously better than most other towns in NJ.

My PD does not send out letters. They have a downloadable / fill it out on-line questionnaire (attached) that the named references (from the STS-033) can fill out and hand back to the applicant, who can then turn them in with all the other forms. The references are also called. Since they can be filled out on line, I like to e-mail them to my references, with their, and my, info already filled-in. Then they just have to print it out, check the answers and sign it. I collect it from them and turn them in, as stated above. Faster and less hassle than waiting for the PD to send them out and your references to return them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Firearms Reference Fillable Form.pdf

No letters or calls to references for PP for me in West Amwell Township. First new PP took 8 days but they only let me get one. After politely informing them recently of the correct procedure and after they called the State Police it took 3 weeks to get 2 PP :icon_rolleyes: . When I applied for my FPID they did not notify or send out letters. I had to bring questionnaires to my references to have them fill out and then return with my other paperwork. It's amazing just how different other departments/ townships are from each other.

You guys are lucky. Last 2 permit's I applied for took 4 months to get here and on top of the normal 2 forms, I also had to fill out some other form.. Tried to argue it and the moron behind the counter wouldn't take my paperwork without filling them in.

My references didn't even receive the forms until 6 weeks after I filled everything out. And of course they blamed the NJSP when I asked why it was taking so long.