Radek

Stag 2 - gunsmith for trigger work

I am comparing the trigger on my Stag 2 to the one on my bolt action marlin in 30-06 ... not a fair comparison, I know. The stag trigger feels heavy (guessing 6-8 lbs) and doesn't have a clean let-off. Also, there is some gritty feel to it.

I am not into competition rifle shooting, so I don't want to plunk down $170+ on a AR trigger unless I have to. I was considering buying a replacement 2 stage trigger (Geissele / Timney / RRA), but decided to hold off since I haven't explored the gunsmith option ...

I would like to find out what a gunsmith could do to a stock single stage trigger. What's the typical cost range?

Any recommendations of gunsmiths near Woodbridge, 07095?

I am comparing the trigger on my Stag 2 to the one on my bolt action marlin in 30-06 ... not a fair comparison, I know. The stag trigger feels heavy (guessing 6-8 lbs) and doesn't have a clean let-off. Also, there is some gritty feel to it.

I am not into competition rifle shooting, so I don't want to plunk down $170+ on a AR trigger unless I have to. I was considering buying a replacement 2 stage trigger (Geissele / Timney / RRA), but decided to hold off since I haven't explored the gunsmith option ...

I would like to find out what a gunsmith could do to a stock single stage trigger. What's the typical cost range?

Any recommendations of gunsmiths near Woodbridge, 07095?

Give me a PM or a call.

I'm really not crazy about that trigger job for two reasons. #1 it reduces the hammer tension and #2 the problem most times is long hammer sear engagement which isn't addressed there. Depending on the hammer/sear finishes AR's can have a horendous trigger pull notably DPMS. I shoot two DPMS lowers and the pulls are at about 4lbs and VERY little creep and these are modified stock set-ups. They consist of bobbed hammers, reduced hammer/sear engagemant and highly polished surfaces. The thing that cannot be forgotten on milspec rifles is lubrication of the hammer/sear engagement and lurication of the hammer/triger pins or replace the pins with good quality after market non rotating. 4lbs is nice for a rifle you are running around with and may forget or not want to put on safe.

Just my $.02

• Like 1

Bill Springfield in Colorado. He does all the competition rifles for the US Air Force Academy. All you do is send in your current trigger components (hammer, sear, triiger, springs, etc) and he does the work. Or he can just mail you a set that he has already (for more $). I had him do a 3lb and a 4lb trigger job on rifles for $40. They were excellent single stage pulls. He also does trigger jobs on pistols and rifles. I sent him my Ruger PC-9 and he worked on it for $35.. A world of difference. He also does pistols for that price. I highly recommend him. Do some Google searches on his name. You will see only positive reviews.

Bill Springfield

Bill Springfield in Colorado. He does all the competition rifles for the US Air Force Academy. All you do is send in your current trigger components (hammer, sear, triiger, springs, etc) and he does the work. Or he can just mail you a set that he has already (for more $). I had him do a 3lb and a 4lb trigger job on rifles for $40. They were excellent single stage pulls. He also does trigger jobs on pistols and rifles. I sent him my Ruger PC-9 and he worked on it for $35.. A world of difference. He also does pistols for that price. I highly recommend him. Do some Google searches on his name. You will see only positive reviews.

Bill Springfield

Hey Chris- I had Bill do two triggers for me and he is VERY reasonable. My first one came back a little gritty and after calling him, we agreed that I would touch it up with a fine stone and now it is fine. The second one I just stoned after I got it back and it is fine too. The way Bill reduces sear/hammer engagement is by putting a dab of weld under the trigger tail where it hits the frame. In both cases I had to hit that weld with a file or the safety wouldn't pass through the lower. Bill's work is a good bang for the buck, I always include asking him to bob the hammer. As I said I had him do 4# triggers and I'm more than happy with them. In the future I may start doing them myself.

The way Bill reduces sear/hammer engagement is by putting a dab of weld under the trigger tail where it hits the frame. In both cases I had to hit that weld with a file or the safety wouldn't pass through the lower.

i've had two AR actions worked by him as well and the first one was spot on but the second one was as you said, a little too thick in the pretravel weld preventing the safety from passing through. This one was a little more gritty then the last but i have just used it as is anyways. I guess without the entire receiver present at the time, it can't always be perfect but he otherwise provides a great service for a great price IMHO.

i've had two AR actions worked by him as well and the first one was spot on but the second one was as you said, a little too thick in the pretravel weld preventing the safety from passing through. This one was a little more gritty then the last but i have just used it as is anyways. I guess without the entire receiver present at the time, it can't always be perfect but he otherwise provides a great service for a great price IMHO.

Like I said you get a lot of bang for the buck. Don't be hesitant, but be careful, to use a fine stone on the engagement surfaces he established. That's why it's gritty those surfaces if you look at them are not polished and they should be.

I have nothing bad to say about the guy for the services he offers. And like you said he doesn't have the lower when he does his work and +- tolerances stack up in any mass produced item like a lower reciever.

Enjoy your rifles.

I installed a Timny 3lb and and am very happy with it. Took about 15 min to install, dropped right in. Great improvement, feels much better then the Armalite and Rock River match triggers I've tried. I've had it in a couple months now, half a dozen groundhogs and some range shooting, no surprises, it works and I dont think about it when I shoot.

Replaces the factory trigger parts so no damage, you can put that 8lb trigger back in anytime you want.