AnthonyG

Question about handgun Permits

I finished filling out paperwork for hand gun permit(s) and going to police station tomorrow to get process rolling I put down 3 for number of permits I wanted, this is my first time going for handgun permits. I was told by one of my uncles who is a ex cop that when going for your first permits you should keep it to 2 permits any more and it looks bad and they might reject your app. Is what he's saying hold water, I don't see what legal right could be taken because of number of permits I want. I would think with the cops knowing how lengthy the process is they would expect people to apply for multiple permits often to cut back on waiting on permits all the time. Thanks in advance.

My suggestion, don't ask a cop anything about the law. If you ask 10 different cops (even from the same department) you'll most likely get 10 different answers.We have folks here who know the law as it is written, as well as folks who have actually applied for multiple permits the first time.

You'll probably find someone here from your town who did that, so you'll get an accurate answer.

• Like 1

Your uncles information is incorect. You could apply for 6 permits and have the last 3 extended for an additional 3 months keeping you within the one handgun a month law. Thats assuming you want that many and have the funds available. I always apply for more than I intend to use. You are under no obligation to use them.

Keep in mind you can go back a few months later and apply for more permits before you recieve the original ones you applied for. By doing this you will always have a permit available should a deal come along you can't refuse.

As far as "raising a red flag" by applying for too many permits, that is a bunch of BS. As long as your not breaking the law it's your right, and their job to process the paper work.

• Like 1

Your uncles information is incorect. You could apply for 6 permits and have the last 3 extended for an additional 3 months keeping you within the one handgun a month law. Thats assuming you want that many and have the funds available. I always apply for more than I intend to use. You are under no obligation to use them.

Keep in mind you can go back a few months later and apply for more permits before you recieve the original ones you applied for. By doing this you will always have a permit available should a deal come along you can't refuse.

As far as "raising a red flag" by applying for too many permits, that is a bunch of BS. As long as your not breaking the law it's your right, and their job to process the paper work.

I was concerned about the same thing when I applied for my FPID and PP's so I only put down 1. In retrospect I wish I had indicated 3, or more as I applied before OGAM.

I finished filling out paperwork for hand gun permit(s) and going to police station tomorrow to get process rolling I put down 3 for number of permits I wanted, this is my first time going for handgun permits. I was told by one of my uncles who is a ex cop that when going for your first permits you should keep it to 2 permits any more and it looks bad and they might reject your app. Is what he's saying hold water, I don't see what legal right could be taken because of number of permits I want. I would think with the cops knowing how lengthy the process is they would expect people to apply for multiple permits often to cut back on waiting on permits all the time. Thanks in advance.

If I saw someone applying for 90 permits I would be pissed about the additional paperwork, but there is no part of the investigation that the amount of permits applied for applies to.

While this thread is up... I have a question about my own forms I just dropped off...

I moved from Clark to Morristown... and on line 14: ADDRESS APPEARING ON FORMER FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD (If Applicable) - I put down my old Clark address...

Thing is: I already have my Morristown FPID, I'm just getting more P2Ps... is this an issue? Should I tell the detective to not send it in? My paranoid mind started thinking about it today.

I always put down 6. That's the most you can get without an exemption to OGAM (if you extend them another 90 days).

Guest megaman

You have the right to apply for as many as you want.

If they give you any ****, tell them that its no big deal, you will just put in for an extension.

Dont buy it, apply for as many as you want, its your right to do so.

Sad to say, many cops dont know firearms law and are not lawyers.

Thanks for all the info guys, I pretty much knew my uncle "larry" was wrong I just needed confirmation from people that have done it. Sadly the cop that does all firearm permits and such is out today so ill be going Monday but at least I know to put down 3 as originally planned.

Thanks for all the info guys, I pretty much knew my uncle "larry" was wrong I just needed confirmation from people that have done it. Sadly the cop that does all firearm permits and such is out today so ill be going Monday but at least I know to put down 3 as originally planned.

fyi, this will help if they do happen to give you any trouble.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19258-njsp-letter-to-chiefs-proving-ppps-cannot-be-limited/

Legally I don't think they can reject your app. for the amount of permits you apply for. They might give you a dirty look or make a comment, but you have the right to apply for as many as you want. I've gotten 10 permits a time.