Sign in to follow this  
Shocker

New-to-me Old Shotgun

Looking for opinions on a shotgun here...

I "prematurely inherited" an Ithaca 37 Ultralight in 12ga from my grandfather recently, with the shorter smooth Deerslayer barrel as well. The barrels are ok, some scoring inside but the outside of everything is pristine. I'm not terribly accurate with the iron sights (SCFGPA is 100 yards targets) but if I ever intend to go shotgun hunting (deer) would you suggest I:

1. Keep the Ithaca, get some sort of shotgun scope for it cobbled together and use slugs

2. Sell it and get something newer and nicer and use sabots

I don't see much of a need for multiple shotguns so if I went with #2 I wouldn't keep them both. To put a scope on the ithaca I think it could clamp to the rear sight but it would need something like 12" of eye relief.

Thoughts?

I "prematurely inherited" an Ithaca 37 Ultralight in 12ga from my grandfather recently, with the shorter smooth Deerslayer barrel as well. The barrels are ok, some scoring inside but the outside of everything is pristine. I'm not terribly accurate with the iron sights (SCFGPA is 100 yards targets) but if I ever intend to go shotgun hunting (deer) would you suggest I:

1. Keep the Ithaca, get some sort of shotgun scope for it cobbled together and use slugs

I don't see much of a need for multiple shotguns so if I went with #2 I wouldn't keep them both. To put a scope on the ithaca I think it could clamp to the rear sight but it would need something like 12" of eye relief.

Thoughts?

I really don't know much about anything but one thing I do know about is Ithaca Model 37's. Specifally "Deerslayers".

That smooth bore that you have was a revolutionary gun in it's time. They are all capable of shooting 6" and under groups at 100yds with

standard foster style slugs. Cheap slugs under $5 a box. Many of these guns are scoped. You will not find a mount that clamps on the rear sight. They were dicontinued MANY years ago and are not to be found. I have a saddle mount that takes Weaver rings(I may even have the rings) that you can have cheap. I have since had a cantilever base installed in one of my barrels.

Scrub that barrel good I doubt those are scratches but they don't matter anyway. Be aware all Ithaca Deerslayers kick like a mule. So be cautious of eye relief on any scope. The recievers cannot be drilled and tapped on the top because they are too thin.

You have the best deer killing smooth bore shotgun money can buy. I wouldn't be suprized if it shot 3-4" at a hundred with the right slug and if you get the tragectory thing down you may be good to 150. If this thraed goes anywhere I'll post pics.

Enjoy that shotgun and if you want that saddle mount let me know or if you need any info let me know.

I am "OLD SCHOOL" as I've been shooting smooth bore slugs for over 30 years.

Thanks for the input. Yes, it kicks hard, I put a few rounds downrange just to try it out and it was quite a bang. I could hit a 12" target at 100yds with half my shots but that's about it :icon_redface:

As long as it's worth keeping around, I'll do what's necessary to make it useful. I haven't found much info on these guns online since it seems "Ithaca" as a company has changed hands and changed locations many times over the years.

I will PM about the saddle mount.

Thoughts?

M37's are keepers if you don't feel hampered by shooting Foster-style slugs in the smoothbore. Ultralight's are fairly new, so you may be able to find an after-market barrel for modern sabots if that's your preference for loads but I have always found the smoothbore M37's to shoot Foster slugs very well. Ithaca's barrel to receiver lockup is secure and solid and contributes to its inherent accuracy. These is the aluminum receiver, correct? I don't know if an aluminum receiver is one I'd want to drill into for a mount. The sidesaddle option Old School and djg0770 recommend sounds better. My only gripe with some sidesaddle mounts is they sometimes mount the scope too high if the field shotgun's buttstock has excessive drop at heel dimensions. Lifting your face off the buttstock to get a sight picture does not bode well for accuracy. This situation can be remedied though.

This offset style Weaver mount on steel receivers was rock-solid and kept the scope low to the receiver/bore. Not sure of the exact model though.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=35801/pid=27347/sku/_2_Side_Mount_Base?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=become&mc_id=15000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c829_a_7c955010002_d_955493103_d_592

My brother's 1975 steel-receivered M37 Deerslayer is set up this way and he's taken dozen's of deer in NJ over the years. Don't know if you'd want to drill and tap an aluminum receiver for a similar setup though. I have an older 1968 Featherlight Deerslayer and have searched high and wide for rings that would fit the rear sight for an extended eye-relief scope but came up empty. With iron sights it still provides more than acceptable accuracy. And that's how I've left mine. I still shoot only Foster slugs out of my Ithaca and a Browning Buck Special. Never jumped on the sabot bandwagon yet.

Thanks for the input. Yes, it kicks hard, I put a few rounds downrange just to try it out and it was quite a bang. I could hit a 12" target at 100yds with half my shots but that's about it :icon_redface:

As long as it's worth keeping around, I'll do what's necessary to make it useful. I haven't found much info on these guns online since it seems "Ithaca" as a company has changed hands and changed locations many times over the years.

I will PM about the saddle mount.

12" at 100yds kills deer but you can do better. I'll bet it's those lousey sights Ithaca put on there. You sure this gun is not a "Featherlight"

and not an "Ultralight" I don't know of a Deerslayer "Ultralight"

One more option is you don't need a scope. Side mount peep(aperature) sights are available and VERY accurate.