Krdshrk

Henry Survival Rifle/AR-7

I have 2 of them, a Charter Arms and a Survival arms. Both work great and are fairly accurate to boot. If you look around they sell an all metal barrel, but it is quite a bit heavier. They also sell aftermarket parts, but they dont fit into the butt stock. I also picked up some mags from sportsman's guide, but have to tinker with them. Not all of them fit or work. Also, when packed in the buttstock, most people dont know what they are. It just looks like a butt stock. Kinda wish we could keep one in the trunk of the car here in NJ. Would make a fine little trunk gun.

Thanks, Fishy - how are the triggers on yours?

Kinda wish we could keep one in the trunk of the car here in NJ. Would make a fine little trunk gun.

what is stopping you.. it is a long gun.. not a pistol.. just make sure it is not loaded.. as far as I am aware.. the specific language about only going from store.. to home.. to range.. etc.. only applies to hand guns..

what is stopping you.. it is a long gun.. not a pistol.. just make sure it is not loaded.. as far as I am aware.. the specific language about only going from store.. to home.. to range.. etc.. only applies to hand guns..

Nope. Any guns.

Nope. Any guns.

can you post the law as it is written.. (NOT what is on NJSP website).. I am pretty sure we had a discussion on here a while back where it was discussed.. and the law as it is written is specific about handguns only.. and you could technically drive around with a rifle (unloaded) as per NJ requirements..

edit nevermind just read the law.. it did not appear to be like that before.. and I actually spoke to someone before about it.. let me see if I can get more info..

here it is..

this is my opinion after having read the law and numerous discussions on this forum..

the only difference between the two is that you can only transport a pistol to and from the range.. there does not appear to be limitations on transporting a long gun.. additionally the idea of locking the gun in the trunk is only of relevance if the trunk of the vehicle is NOT separate from the passenger compartment..

transport in NJ as I understand it..

handgun,

ONLY to and from the range, to and from a gunsmith, OR place of purchase.

car with trunk - unloaded in a secure container (not necessarily locked)

car with no trunk (hatch, SUV, etc.) unloaded in a locked container.

the key is to limit access to the occupants of the vehicle.

long gun

no specification of destination necessary..

again this is my understanding of the law as it is written..

I 99% agree with Damagedworld, but would disagree with the "car with trunk - unloaded in a secure container (not necessarily locked)" portion.

IMO, I do not believe that you need a case if it goes in the trunk. I never do and neither do tens of thousand hunters.

here it is..

this is my opinion after having read the law and numerous discussions on this forum..

the only difference between the two is that you can only transport a pistol to and from the range.. there does not appear to be limitations on transporting a long gun.. additionally the idea of locking the gun in the trunk is only of relevance if the trunk of the vehicle is NOT separate from the passenger compartment..

transport in NJ as I understand it..

handgun,

ONLY to and from the range, to and from a gunsmith, OR place of purchase.

long gun

no specification of destination necessary..

again this is my understanding of the law as it is written..

All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

I 99% agree with Damagedworld, but would disagree with the "car with trunk - unloaded in a secure container (not necessarily locked)" portion.

IMO, I do not believe that you need a case if it goes in the trunk. I never do and neither do tens of thousand hunters.

Lets get this specific thread back on topic before it completely goes off on a different tangent.

I've been considering getting an AR7 for awhile. I have seen these first hand, though not in any active role (collecting dust really). I don't know if it would be worth it though, considering the other options out there for around the same price. Sure, the other options might not have the same cool feature of breaking down and fitting into itself-- but how many of us actually have need for something like that? Especially if we attach a type of optic to the rifle, making that whole feature a moot point.

Lets get this specific thread back on topic before it completely goes off on a different tangent.

I've been considering getting an AR7 for awhile. I have seen these first hand, though not in any active role (collecting dust really). I don't know if it would be worth it though, considering the other options out there for around the same price. Sure, the other options might not have the same cool feature of breaking down and fitting into itself-- but how many of us actually have need for something like that? Especially if we attach a type of optic to the rifle, making that whole feature a moot point.

would you even put an optic on there? it looks to be something that would be used in an extreme emergency.. like back up to the back up.. plus it is a 22? how far are you really going to be shooting.. not disputing what you are saying I just don't really see the use of the optics on something like that.. looks to be pretty weatherproof... I am not normally into gimmick stuff.. but this is pretty neat.. looks cheap also..

What is the obsession with optics. Though they are made for this rifle, they kill it. Aperature sites should be fine within the capabilities of this rifle.

I personally wouldn't put an optic on this type of rifle, but many people do considering its feasible. And not is it just feasible, but in most every case I have seen an AR7, I've seen it with optics (low powered scopes).

Ha, regardless of what most of you believe about me, 80% of my applied experience with weapons were with bare iron sights-- and I personally prefer it that way (optics just make it so darn easy, and I can't complain about that).

You're on Old School (actually it's "Doug", not "Dan"), I'd be happy to be schooled in how to make mine reliable. You got time in the near future?

Cleaning - cleaned the barrel after the two times I fired it, but nothing more than that. Frankly, I was so disappointed in it the two times I tried it that I lost interest in it and relegated it to the back of the safe.

Aww man.. now i feel bad.. It actually worked pretty good for me. I remember reading in the instruction manual that they recomend "High velocity" rounds.. did you try different ammo?

Aww man.. now i feel bad.. It actually worked pretty good for me. I remember reading in the instruction manual that they recomend "High velocity" rounds.. did you try different ammo?

No guilt necessary CSJ, I still think I got a good deal. I'll get together with old school at some point this year and get it sorted out.

Tried two different types of ammo - first was some cheapie aguila, then went to federal 550 packs.

Nick........Sub2000 .40 S&W......Finally got to the range today.....100 flawless rounds.......No FTF, no FTE......Didnt touch sights was 1" low and to the left at 25yrds....No reason to adjust......Will be tearing down for my buildup......

Dont rule out the Sub2k for a SHTF gun...

Very very pleased with this gun......

Nick........Sub2000 .40 S&W......Finally got to the range today.....100 flawless rounds.......No FTF, no FTE......Didnt touch sights was 1" low and to the left at 25yrds....No reason to adjust......Will be tearing down for my buildup......

Dont rule out the Sub2k for a SHTF gun...

Very very pleased with this gun......

Nice, Man. Sigman has one of those. Which one do you have? Takes Glock mags?