oldboy

Home Defense Shotgun Legality

Hello all, What are my limitations on building a home defense shotgun in NJ. I will be using an 870 Remington as a base. Was wondering about magazine capacity, pistol grips,folding stocks,etc. I understand the 18" and 26" rule. Thanks, Tom

18" minimum, if semi-auto, no more than 15 rounds I think, otherwise everything ok, including pistol grips and folding stocks.

Remington 870 is a pump. So legnth is the key the restrictions on a semi-auto are:

An “assault firearm” also includes any semiautomatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a conspicuous pistol grip, or a folding stock;

You can have a pistol grip on a pump, along with a collapsible stock, no mag capacity limits.

if semi auto, no more then 6 rds.

If you are using an 870 to start, a pump, you are wide open... Folding stock ... 8 rd capacity

But please, buy the best gun you can, then buy a bunch of ammo you can and shoot it, then shoot it some more. The reason I am adamant about this is that I think we may end up only having shotguns sometime in the near future and I emphasize to all my shooting friends to become familiar, possible even intimate with their pump guns asap.

18" minimum, if semi-auto, no more than 15 rounds I think, otherwise everything ok, including pistol grips and folding stocks.

No, No, No No, EFFING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18" Min barrel 26" Min overall For ANY Shotgun

Semiauto MAY NOT HAVE A PISTOL GRIP OR a Magazine capacity of More than SIX ROUNDS

Pump-Action No restrictions on Stocks, Pistol Grip, or Magazine extensions

Lever-Action Same as Punp, No restrictions, although there are only 2 i'm aware of, the Markin 410, and the Winchester/IAC 1887s (and clones)

No, No, No No, EFFING NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess i should be more clear in my posts, huh? lol

After the barrel length, I should have mentioned the collapsible stock and pistol grip being legal on ANY pump action, before going into the semi-auto rambling.

The reason I am adamant about this is that I think we may end up only having shotguns sometime in the near future

Don't scare me dude.....

I think the confusion here is that you stated on semi-auto shotguns there was a 15 round capacity limit, and said folding stocks and pistol grips are legal. Seems to me like you got the semi-auto rifle (15 round count) and pump shotgun laws (folding stock and pistol grip) all jumbled into the semi-auto shotgun statement.

After the barrel length, I should have mentioned the collapsible stock and pistol grip being legal on ANY pump action, before going into the semi-auto rambling.

Yeah that is the kind of thing that can get someone jammed up..especially if they see something they like out of state, like a Benelli M-1 that doesnt Scream "Evil Assault Weapon" to most people, but still falls under our BS restrictions.

If you need a shotgun that holds 15 rounds to protect yourself with you deserve to be assaulted.

Remember the guy in NY who used the warning shots from the "AK47" to protect his cousin who was outside surrounded by 20-25 gang members? I'm sure he wished he had a shotgun that held more than 15 rounds.....

Remember the guy in NY who used the warning shots from the "AK47" to protect his cousin who was outside surrounded by 20-25 gang members? I'm sure he wished he had a shotgun that held more than 15 rounds.....

If you've gotten yourself surrounded by 20 25 gang members you need only one round for yourself.

Other than the Saigs, or maybe that half-assed Magazine conversion they had for 870's a while back, i dont know of ANY shotgun that would hold 15 rounds..unless you want another 2' of magazine tube sticking PAST the muzzle.

Other than the Saigs, or maybe that half-assed Magazine conversion they had for 870's a while back, i dont know of ANY shotgun that would hold 15 rounds..unless you want another 2' of magazine tube sticking PAST the muzzle.

The Saiga was the shotgun I had in mind.

In NJ..... ALL WARNING SHOTS ARE ILLEAGAL!That is because in defense of your life, you draw and shoot the threat. If you feel you only needed to take a warning shot, your life was not in immeadiate danger.

In NJ..... ALL WARNING SHOTS ARE ILLEAGAL!That is because in defense of your life, you draw and shoot the threat. If you feel you only needed to take a warning shot, your life was not in immeadiate danger.

Where the hell did I condone warning shots? I was providing as many details regarding the story as possible so people would remember.

Let me clarify my comment about "shotguns only" in the future. This is my take on a forthcoming issue.

Eventually, and this is if the 2A advocates are not succesful, we will have tighter federal gun laws in the US along the lines of NATO allies. There are to many "leaders" in DC that think they are doing the right thing. We will be reduced to owning shotguns only, and might have laws like "Gun Club Storage" only, or no more then two rounds cap.

Right now, I have it being a 30% chance of happening in the next ten years. The main problem is the sheep like mentality of our current 25yo and younger population. Blind acceptance of things they hear or see on web blogs, advertising and taught in school. Nobody questions authority anymore, they dont try to learn for themselve, they actually believe that if they are told something it is truth, no questions asked.

I fear for the USA. Example, I make now bones about it I work for the feds, in DHS, FEMA. There is a new, mandatory training class that all fed employee must do annually. This class has generated alot of discussion or objections on it's merits and value. It is a 30 minute webinar on the Bill of Rights. How can this be a new requirement for Fed employees, and .... Who would ever object? It pains me to see people deny, excuse or wish to hide from our collective citizenship. This is the best country ever, a 235 year and going strong experiment in self determination. Yet 40% of the population gets it information from rumor and the another 40% does not care.

I have now climbed off my soapbox and bring you back to your originally scheduled thread.

So I think that the question becomes......what do we do if they try to take our guns?

I know the course of action I believe I would take if anyone tried to steal anything that I legally purchased.. something I spent hard earned money on.. how YOU handle it is entirely up to you..