Melgamatic

broken Rem 1100

I purchased a new Remington 1100 20 gauge shotgun for my son last Christmas. We shot only a few rounds this past summer; he's still working on getting used to it and I didn't want to push it.

Taking it out of the gun safe recently, I realized the operating handle is gone. It wasn't in the carrying case, and isn't on the floor of the safe, so I can only assume it's on the ground at some range, somewhere.

I want to take it to a gunsmith to get it fixed and checked out.

I live in the Union County / Westfield area. I haven't been back to the NJ Firearms Guild (the nearest gunsmith) since a year or so ago when they did a poor job and charged me too much to fix the Kimber 1911 I bought from them, so I would rather avoid them. Where else should I go?

Any gunsmith suggestions? The other complexity is that I work long hours, and so would prefer someone who can either deal with me on the weekends or during the week after 8pm...

Thanks, Dave

I wouldn't assume it's broken until you do a little checking first. The operating handle comes out as part of standard disassembly for cleaning. You need to remove the handle to slide the bolt assembly forward and out of the receiver. You just need to take off the foregrip first to replace it. The manual describes the process very well.

Call Remington and tell them. They will send you a replacement quickly. They have shipped me a new front bead sight (mine fell off first time out) and a new wood front grip (mine came cracked). Their customer service is excellent.

If it's under warranty, send it back. Don't deal with local gunsmiths when you can get OEM parts and a free repair.

I think we probably broke it, somehow, so I'm not sure it's a warranty situation.

On the other hand, I bought it on 12/21/2009, so I am well within my 2 year warranty...

I think we probably broke it, somehow, so I'm not sure it's a warranty situation.

On the other hand, I bought it on 12/21/2009, so I am well within my 2 year warranty...

OK. I will take your work for it. My point is that there is not much to break on the bolt. It is solid stainless steel with a grooved slot that the charging handle slips into. The handle itself is a piece of metal that I can see breaking. I would imagine that any gunshop employee that has ever cleaned a Remmy autoloader would be able to tell you the problem and remedy in about 5 seconds. Most likely it will involve Remington sending you one or more parts in the mail. I am just very familiar with the hassles of shipping firearms (i.e. freaked out, non-knowledgeable USPS and UPS employees) and seek to avoid doing so whenever possible.

As a matter of fact, if you are in the neighborhood, come on over to Brick Armory tonight and I would be happy to check it out for you.