Sign in to follow this  
axeman_g

IR, Night Vision... edumucate me.

Ok, sitting on some cash. trying to actually stop buying guns and get more gear and training.

Besides looking at FLC vests and goods/supplies for bugging in I am interested in looking at IR

or Night Vision.

Cant really decide between head, rifle sight or binocular/monocular.

Experience anyone?

There's a lot to this topic. At one of my other forums my web boss chronicled his pursuit of NVG and ultimately he ended up getting an early Gen 3. The consensus is not to waste your time on gen 1 or 2. That particular thread had some great links, one of which went to Arfcom. You'll probably find it useful. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=329958

• Like 2

There's a lot to this topic. At one of my other forums my web boss chronicled his pursuit of NVG and ultimately he ended up getting an early Gen 3. The consensus is not to waste your time on gen 1 or 2. That particular thread had some great links, one of which went to Arfcom. You'll probably find it useful. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=329958

great link..

I've been down this road for over 15 years. Or 20+ years if you include the military. Haven't bothered to keep up much the past few years. But not much has changed in that time.

The simple answer is, get Gen II at least.

The second answer is, think about what you want to use it for. The guys above already told you that. Goggles are cool as ****. And sexy. They also reduce your field of vision to 40°. Tunnel vision. You can't use them when there is ambient light. In an emergency, yes. But you will wear and tear the tubes. Even autogated power supply tubes, but it sounds like you are not planning on buying those. First you have to put them on. They are cumbersome. Once you have them on, you have them on. You can pull them off, but you still have to futz with them before you can turn a light on or anything. They can withstand that treatment, but in civilian life it puts wear on them. If you have any illusions about putting on a goggle to stalk intruders in your house, bad idea. There is no way I would wake up and try to put something over my face and fit it and try to turn it on when I thought people were on their way to kill me.

Observation tools and weapon sights are the most useful for civilians. If you can afford it, get a minoc with headgear that can do all three - headmount, weapon mount, and observation. After a couple years, you will find that you hand-hold it 90% of the time. Except for screwing around in the woods or hog hunting at night.

Gen II vs. Gen III - This is a very complicated subject. For US Milspec tubes, Gen III is always better. Unless you get a larger tube in Gen II. And, with a big "But,"... US Gen III tech has been refined FAR more than US Gen II tech.

If we put that aside for a moment, the main advantages of Gen III from a technological standpoint are:

- Outdoors, overcast, no skyglow, no light sources, uses more natural near-IR to create image

How often does that happen?

- Longer tube life (US only, Europe has autogated and special films on Gen II)

- Recent US milspec Gen III often filters out a great deal of visible light (you heard that right) so that the gain can go up for near-IR which provides images of higher contrast.

I twice blew my money sending tubes to labs that I couldn't tell if they were Gen II or early Gen III. They tested them, but couldn't tell and had to pull the tubes.

Europe has mostly settled on Gen II and has developed the technology to extraordinary levels. Including autogating. For US milspec, I wouldn't buy Gen III below OMNI IV. Otherwise I would go with Gen II. But the OMNI V and above start getting spectacular as you go up!

Just out of curiosity what would be the logic behind having this as a civilian? Don't get me wrong I'd absolutely love to have a scope for the rifle if I had a wad of cash just fall into my lap, but for the price I couldn't afford saving up just for it to sit in my locker. So instead I bought a cheapo pump night vision monocular that I play around with occasionally.

For me its a bit in the catagory of a gieger counter. Useless right now, priceless in the right situation. Although lately with the wierdness hapening in just about every neighboirhood lately, it would have been mighty handy a couple times already to spot things my dogs were alerting on but took me forever to ID.

Just out of curiosity what would be the logic behind having this as a civilian? Don't get me wrong I'd absolutely love to have a scope for the rifle if I had a wad of cash just fall into my lap, but for the price I couldn't afford saving up just for it to sit in my locker. So instead I bought a cheapo pump night vision monocular that I play around with occasionally.

Shooting hogs, yotes, vermin. Or shooting anything. Or holding in your hand to look at stuff. I think I said a minoc that could serve all three pruposes ws the best. And a goggle was the worst for most people. A weapon sight would have cost less than a good minoc, not more. I have no idea what "a cheapo pump night vision monocular" even means. Is it at least Gen II? If not, it probably doesn't do much.

I have no idea what "a cheapo pump night vision monocular" even means. Is it at least Gen II? If not, it probably doesn't do much.

I'm was referring to the cheap Famous Trails night vision monocular which requires you to pump in the side in order to activate the night vision feature. It's nothing special and not the best of clarity but I didnt expect much for under $100

i love this thread.... and it is very educational. To the point where I realized that I think I would rather invest in a few really good flashlights.

$3000+.... that more then I paid for my first new car! Ok I exagerate... but because iI am a cheap bastard at heart I will do without by making the dark... light.

I would rather spend that 3k on a generator, supplies and ammo in case of shtf.

I had a generator. I sold it off. In a SHTF I think that gas will be an issue rendering the generator useless. But if I had to establish a perimiter at night, Im golden :D Not to get too sidetracked but I have considered getting the family into camping. Thats some gear and hobby that I think could prove REAL usefull if thinks wents heavily sideways. I dont get to deep into TEOTWAWKI but being of the "luck favors the prepared" mindset, my thoughts are run for the hills so being somewhat prepared to do so makes sense.

I am just a step ahead of you on that. I am an old hiker and starting to take the whole family camping now. Long range hiking skills are real good to have I think. Look into hiking the Batona Trail or even a AT hike... no a through hike, just a section. I have covered the AT in it's entirety except for the section from NY through to VT. Hoping to complete it someday.

The generator is more of a temp situation solution.