AdamaSys

Concerns regarding the legality of homebuilt weapons

Recently I've been developing a series of microcontroller based "weapons" that are really just unnecessarily sophisticated Nerf guns made for fun. Right now they're handheld weapons, but when I work out the bugs I'd like to take advantage of the controllers' full potential and set them on "sentry gun" turrets or even mobile platforms for remote or automated operation. Seeing the success of my prototypes made me wonder about the potential these designs have with actual cartridges. It's nothing that hasn't been done before, but I'd love to see if I could make my own rig for unloading some actual lead.

So... many questions have since come to mind. How does NJ law regard firearms that have been scratch built? I know the general goal of gun laws is to keep tabs on who has what, but considering registration is voluntary here, would I need to do anything at all to legally possess such a weapon?

Most firearms are cycled manually or with energy tapped from cartridge ignition. Are there any regulations on externally powered firearms? (mechanisms cycled with power from an outside soure, as mine would be)

Are there regulations on mobile weapons or weapons not under the direct control of a human being?

Here is a very early test of the microcontroller's ability to index a 15 shot air revolver using a limit switch I held in place:

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff155/PointBlank017/?action=view&current=fai.mp4&newest=1

(Of course I wouldn't program a real weapon to fire full-auto as this one does)

Input is appreciated as always.

You cannot manufacture a reciever in NJ. Thats where the law ends. If you purchase a reciever from an FFL and build a sentry gun around it, your good to go as far as NJ is concerned. Be carefull about federal laws though, you may be making a AOW (any other weapon) which is a $5 tax stamp....which you cant get in NJ

You cannot manufacture a reciever in NJ. Thats where the law ends. If you purchase a reciever from an FFL and build a sentry gun around it, your good to go as far as NJ is concerned. Be carefull about federal laws though, you may be making a AOW (any other weapon) which is a $5 tax stamp....which you cant get in NJ

One other thing to remember when it comes to Electrically-fired Semi-Automatic firearms, you are danceng DANGEROUSLY close to the edge of a Machine Gun as well. For example a Gatling Gun is PERFECTLY Legal to own, and fire, as long as it is hand-cranked. Once you put an electric Motor on it, it then becomes a Machine gun. If your Sentry gun (Aso know as a "Manjack") is capable of continuously firing if there is ANY kind of malfunction, you are setting yourself up for potential major legal troubles. I know of a guy from the 1919a4 forums that built a powered mount, but it had to be done under his 07 FFL/SOT as an NFA weapon.

Heres a quick guideline when it comes to NJ. If it's fun....It's probably illegal.

This is probably illegal under NJ's Fun & Cool Limitation Statutes.

There is a simple rule to apply. If you are going to build or buy something, then stop and say "Wow this is really cool, should be crazy fun!"... bingo, you know its illegal. :lol:

Looks like a nice arduino type project. Interesting!

Good spotting! The Arduino is under that red motor shield. Arduino is loads of fun.

That's unfortunate, the actual mechanism is what I hoped to do myself. And I see what you guys mean about the electrical aspect bordering on "machine gun". I guess I'll be sticking with toy projectiles. Thanks for the replies. This board is knowledgeable as always.

I can't back up what I am about to say. But I am pretty sure that remote controlled firearms are illegal under federal law unless they are machineguns.

If anybody can find a citation for this I would be appreciative.

Put it behind a finger print reader and call it a "smart gun prototype". Hell maybe you can even get some of their grant money to fund your toy construction... :icon_e_biggrin: