hd2000fxdl

Transporting to Range

New here but didn't see this covered anywhere and being I am getting older I'd like to know the facts before finding out the hard way. That should make a few of ya relive the past. <G>

That being said, I Ride a Harley, My 83 doesn't have bags so I won't be using that bike but have soft saddle unlockable bags (is that cool with how I am transporting listed below), but my 08 has had lockable side bags and a center tour pack that is also lockable. Now I am thinking about joining Shore Shot tomorrow, (won't be on the bike in the snow. lol) but it's a nice 35 minute ride or over an hour on back roads on the bike. I was wondering if I can transport on the bike.

Note: I keep my guns unloaded with trigger locks inside of locked cases with the ammo and mags in a separate locked container. Is this cool as long as they are in the locked side bags and tour pack??

Harry

I was wondering the same thing the other day...I ride almost exclusively in the warmer weather.

I don't see it to be a problem but was waiting to see if someone knew the real scoup. Well I guess we will both find out now.

What do ya ride, Im on a 08 Ultra and and 83 (Kick only) Shovel but putting the Pu$$y button back on for the heck of it, kicking her in front of a crowd ain't pretty if there are a few hardbellys around. LOL

Harry

I have a Suzuki M50 that I ride on occasion, but for the most part the wife rides that. My main bike is on 08 Buell 1125R and I also have an 06 GSXR 750 that is track only( I have a speed addiction). I will probably go back to cruisers when my body can't deal with the sport bikes anymore.

I have a Suzuki M50 that I ride on occasion, but for the most part the wife rides that. My main bike is on 08 Buell 1125R and I also have an 06 GSXR 750 that is track only( I have a speed addiction). I will probably go back to cruisers when my body can't deal with the sport bikes anymore.

I'll stick with the Cruser's, did dirt back in the late 70's and early 80's but only off road, all my street bikes have been Chopped out HD's and Trumpets, and now more into the geaser glide thing other then my 83 that's raked a little and 8 over. Appreciate the speed and perormance of the sport bikes but I think I would really like to find out how much they had and get myself in trouble. lol

See ya at SS one of these days.

Harry

I ride a 07 Streetglide and when i go to the range i transport ammo in one side of the hardbags and firearms in the other , we may all have to meet up for a ride some day !!!

Good to hear I not the only one who has thought about or does transport on a bike. The FLX is a nice bike, keep the rubber side down. If ya see someone at SS during the week days when they first open on an grey FLHTCU at SS that would be more than likely me.

Harry

Nice that everybody is exchanging info on what they ride, but the question hasn't been answered, yet.

IANAL but, going through the statutes, all I could find was this...

2C:39-6

g.tab.gifAll weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Since the word "or" is used between the conditions of carry, you should be good to go. I thought I remembered a clause somewhere that dealt with vehicles without a trunk. I went through all the statutes and the NJAC and could find nothing else. If someone remembers, or can find, that definitive clause please post it up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nice that everybody is exchanging info on what they ride, but the question hasn't been answered, yet.

g.tab.gifAll weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Since the word "or" is used between the conditions of carry, you should be good to go. I thought I remembered a clause somewhere that dealt with vehicles without a trunk. I went through all the statutes and the NJAC and could find nothing else. If someone remembers, or can find, that definitive clause please post it up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob, I think in a vehicle with out a trunk it was to be kept out of reach and locked and unloaded as you would carry in the trunk but not in a glove compartment or center storage area but not imidiatly accessable.

Harry

When I ride to the range on my R1, I only take pistols, ammo, and a couple accessories. I have the pistols and whatnot in my tailbag and the ammo in the tankbag.

I never gave it much thought, just made sure that everything was seperated and such, and if I ever got pulled over (never have while transporting on my bike) I would do what I normally do. Get off my bike, start taking my helmet and gloves off and keep my hands in plain view.

Usually the cop is more interested in how uncomfortable my full leathers can be then whatever my violation was haha.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here my point of view, you really don't need another statue or clause to transport a weapon in a singe compartment vehicle:

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

That right there states that you can carry a firearm in a "fastened" case in the main compartment of a vehicle. If you consider a saddle bag "securely tied package" then you don't even need a case, but I would test that ;) .

From the Sate Police Q&A:

Q6. How do you transport firearms?

A6. Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Im not sure about the ammo part of that answer as I haven't read any statutes that state how ammo must be transported, but the rest makes sense. A center console or glove compartment are not closed and fastened cases, gunboxs or securely tied packages.

my .02

So if I strap a locked case with my rifle in it over my back and jump on my Suzuki cruiser with my ammo in a locked saddle bag am I good to go? :p

LOL, I'm in Arizona for the weekend, I could do that here. <G> but back in NJ i'd limit that to a AR-7 broken down to the stock and in a backpack that would hold a 16.5" rifle. lol

Harry