Sign in to follow this  
Shocker

Purchasing non-compliant upper only?

This has probably been asked but I couldn't get the magic combination of keywords...

If only the lower receiver is the "gun", could I get a non-compliant upper shipped to me, have it NJ-neutered and then pair it to a lower at a later time?

I currently have no lowers in my possession at all so I wouldn't even have the option of assembling a complete rifle.

I'm asking because gunbroker has quite a few non-compliant uppers and the sellers frequently say they will not modify their items before shipment.

Well I think that legally you can, I personally wouldn't take a chance here in our police state. Do you plan on modifying it yourself? If not you can usually have it sent to a smith to have the work done. I have done this with an upper, then the upper was shipped to me. I already had lowers so I couldn't have the evil features. There are many smith's here and elsewhere that do that kind of work. Just my opinion.

You could have it shipped directly to a gunsmith when you purchase it. Adco, PK90 (on the forums here), and others will take your non-compliant upper make it NJ legal and then ship it to you.

Or you could purchase an already NJ legal Upper from Spikes, Stag, BCM (depending on which one) and a few other I can't think of at the moment.

• Like 1

I believe a non-compliant upper would fall in to the "constructive possession" category, where you could conceivably build a non-compliant gun with the parts you have in your possession, which would then be illegal.

I don't plan on modifying myself, just that since sellers don't require a FFL for shipping uppers I could save the FFL fee and hand-carry the item to my local 'smith.

I know there are a few OEMs that will do the modifications but they are typically 2x the price that I see on the auction sites.

I don't plan on modifying myself, just that since sellers don't require a FFL for shipping uppers I could save the FFL fee and hand-carry the item to my local 'smith.

I know there are a few OEMs that will do the modifications but they are typically 2x the price that I see on the auction sites.

FFL fees do not apply when shipping just an Upper (at least they shouldn't). You can ship them anywhere to anyone. Only the lower of an AR15 requires an FFL :icon_e_biggrin:

ETA: No one should charge a FFL fee with an Upper (Dealer, Gunbroker, Manufactorer, etc.)

I believe a non-compliant upper would fall in to the "constructive possession" category, where you could conceivably build a non-compliant gun with the parts you have in your possession, which would then be illegal.

Ken:

I don't think there would be constructive possession unless he owned a lower. He stated that he does not, and as long as that is the case while he is in possession of the unmodified upper he should be good. IANAL, but I interpreted "constructive possession" as having all the necessary components, just not assembled. No lower, no constructive possession.

Adios,

Pizza Bob