njluger

New SW1911 TFP

Can someone please explain to me the pros and cons of having an external extractor oppose to an internal and vice versa? I love the S&W 1911 but a friend told me to stay away from this particular 1911 because of the external extractor.

I don't believe that it is quite the issue today that it once was. What is probably more important is the quality of the material used - especially with internal extractors that are one piece and act as their own spring. The argument could be made that they are more prone to metal fatigue because of the constant flexing. An external extractor can be made our of less expensive materials and there is no need to tune them, since the are simply a spring-loaded lever.

I have read that the use of the internal extractor on the 1911 was in response to a specific problem that occurred during the trials that led to the adoption of the 1911. Seems that Frankfort Arsenal was having a problem with getting the .45 ACP case the right length, thus allowing them to seat more deeply in the chamber (remember these headspace on the case mouth). An external extractor could not "reach in" far enough to extract the short cases. The problem was solved by using an internal extractor. JMB was a fan of the external and used it on other designs.

Again, what it is made of and how well are more important than whether it is internal or external - as long as it functions. One plus that for the external is that it acts a s a loaded chamber indicator. Some states require that there be one.

Your friend was probably reacting to all the bad press the Kimbers got when they couldn't make an EE that worked. Remember they seemed to be the only ones that couldn't.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I didn't say the external extractors didn't work. They do, for Smith&Wesson anyway. I just don't like the look. I also don't like rails, target sights, and smooth grips on 1911s but that's my preference.

BTW, these guns have been getting really good reviews in some gun magazines.

I didn't say the external extractors didn't work. They do, for Smith&Wesson anyway. I just don't like the look. I also don't like rails, target sights, and smooth grips on 1911s but that's my preference.

BTW, these guns have been getting really good reviews in some gun magazines.

I see fixed "battle" sights and no rails...

Well,

Tried to take it out. After 2k rounds of cast reloads I thought maybe it was time to clean. Never had one jam, so I guess I was trying to fix something that wasnt broke.

Well anyways, its a small pin. Small pin needs small punch. small punches bend easy. So I bent it. then i set it up in my vice with a small stubby torx head bit as a driver. With much much much force I got it to budge a hair. BANG! It made a freakin' bang when it moved! So yeah, THEN I google it, and realise im trying to push out something that is pressed in hydraulically.

It was fine where it rested, barely down at all, but I called S&W to see what they had to say. Customer service is as awesome as ledgend has it, they told me to mail them the slide and they would take out the pin, clean the extractor for me(damn!), and send it back with pin put back in to the proper place

+1 S&W, hell yeah

So went to the range tonight with my brother and we had a blast! Put 150 rounds through the new toy and not 1 hiccup. If I do my part, this gun is as accurate as they come, so I'm really impressed. For anyone on the fence of whether to get a Smith 1911...just do it! You won't be disappointed!

Here's a pic of my best target of the evening, 8 rounds @ 25 yds, off-hand:

1190885965_Gq2Yk-L.jpg