Soju

Gun Shops in PA

You really just don't want to get it, do you? Here it is, as simply as I can possibly put it:

Better safe than sorry.

You can argue the finer points of the law all you want. The cops won't argue with you. They'll send you to argue with the judge. And, judges in NJ have a long history of siding with the cops (remember, the guy who had the "charges dropped," as you put it, was actually granted clemency - not pardoned - by the governor; he is, in fact, still a felon).

Oh, and according to the ATF link, you are a resident of NJ, because your permanent duty station is here. So, the FID is madatory, as you are a NJ resident.

I'm done here. Good luck and keep your head down!

It is open to interpretation. The gray areas are where all the "fun" is.

This is why my advice for the OP to seek out the base legal's advice. I am fairly certain that this "grey" was made very black and white by the court with the case I am alluding to. I never had a need to remember enough of the details for names, but the OP's position is pretty much what the case dealt with. The outcome was not anywhere near on the side of the soldier unless some appeal changed it that I didn't hear about. I have a lot of grey hair and lived around this country, and believe me, NJ isn't the only State in the USA that can seem to twist something in the law clear as day to the average Joe. Remember, our courts, in the interpretation of laws, work on precedent. All I am saying OP is that you should seek the advice of those whose JOB it is to understand the law and how it has been interpreted over your own interpretations or those of folks you have no idea what our backgrounds are.

Read this:

Kinnelon cops: Officer serving traffic warrant finds shoeless man with assault rifle

6:47 PM, Mar. 2, 2011

Written by STAFF REPORT

KINNELON — A Kinnelon police officer attempting to serve a borough resident with a traffic warrant ended up arresting the man on weapons charges after finding a loaded assault rifle in the man's apartment, police said.

Sgt. Christopher Burns went to the apartment on Garden Place Sunday at 8:56 p.m. looking to serve the warrant to Matthew T. Manges, 42, police said.

Burns encountered Manges in a common hallway which leads to separate apartments and informed him that he had a warrant and that Manges would have to come to Kinnelon Police Headquarters to make bail.

Manges was not wearing any shoes and asked the sergeant if he could retrieve some from his apartment, according to a press release about the arrest, which said that Burns agreed and started to follow Manges into his apartment.

Manges, however, slammed the door closed and then locked it before Burns could get inside, the release said.

After a brief conversation through the door, Manges opened the door and was taken into custody. In the process, however, Burns noticed a Bushmaster assault rifle leaning up in an open closet, the release said.

The rifle was inspected and found to be loaded with 22 rounds in the magazine and one round in the chamber, ready to be fired, police said.

Mages was transported to the Kinnelon Police Department and charged with unlawful possession of a loaded assault rifle, possession of a firearm without a firearm identification card and contempt of court. Manges was transported to the Morris County Correctional Facility in default of $2,350 bail.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20110302/NJNEWS01/110302005/1005/Kinnelon-man-faces-weapons-charges-after-police-say-loaded-assault-rifle-apartment

Notice what I've highlighted in bold. Do you (the OP) still want to claim I'm wrong about having a gun in NJ without an FID? I don't care what the law says. Once again, it's how it's interpreted that counts. Otherwise, how could this person even be charged with something that, according to the OP, isn't a crime and is perfectly legal in NJ?

Once again, to paraphrase our illustrious Supreme Court: Owning firearms in NJ is done at your own peril.

Notice what I've highlighted in bold.

Geeez, enough already. Despite your condescending tone, the OP is an adult and is capable of making his own decisions. You're like a dog worrying a bone.

As for the article you posted, newspaper articles are notoriously inaccurate, especially when it comes to firearms. The man obstructed an officer in the commission of his duty and the gun in question obviously had an illegal magazine ("...loaded with 22 rounds....") so the arrest was good, but it had nothing to do with the topic at hand. It is not an FID, it is an FPID - the "P" is for purchase, there is no requirement to have one to own firearms. And, yes, we are all nauseatingly familiar with the judge's quote about "....at your own peril..."

Give it a rest and let this thread die a natural death.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Mages was transported to the Kinnelon Police Department and charged with unlawful possession of a loaded assault rifle, possession of a firearm without a firearm identification card and contempt of court.

Yes they charged him but there doesn't seem to be any violation. Doesn't really make a difference here as he was going in for the assault weapon charge. A error by the police? Yes just as much an error as everyone who calls Aitken "man charged and he didn't break any laws". If you recall Aitken did have magazines over 15 rds. He is supposed to be an IT wizard who I'm sure could find such magazines are illegal in NJ from a relible source such as the NRA or NJSP website.

Geeez, enough already. Despite your condescending tone, the OP is an adult and is capable of making his own decisions. You're like a dog worrying a bone.

As for the article you posted, newspaper articles are notoriously inaccurate, especially when it comes to firearms. The man obstructed an officer in the commission of his duty and the gun in question obviously had an illegal magazine ("...loaded with 22 rounds....") so the arrest was good, but it had nothing to do with the topic at hand. It is not an FID, it is an FPID - the "P" is for purchase, there is no requirement to have one to own firearms. And, yes, we are all nauseatingly familiar with the judge's quote about "....at your own peril..."

Give it a rest and let this thread die a natural death.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The article also states he was charged with possession of a LOADED assault weapon. Since when is it an additional charge for the gun to be loaded, you're either in possession of a firearm legally or illegally in your house. Someone doesn't know what they are talking about, either the cops told the paper something incorrect or the paper got the info all wrong.