Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

Gov. Christie on NJ's Gun Laws

Seems a reporter was at a conference yesterday and asked Gov Christie if gun law reform was a possibility in NJ, and Christie reply'd;

“No. Not at all. In fact, I think that Democrats — if they had a Democratic governor, there would be even more of these put on the books. They tried to in [former governor Jon] Corzine’s last year [in office], and they got caught up in the legislature trying to do even more.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/260583/christie-new-jersey-s-gun-laws-robert-verbruggen

*sigh*

We'll never know until something hits his desk. He knows that there is no point in acting pro-gun rights, as the NJ Legislature is by far not. So why blow political capital is what he's problably figuring.

On the flip side, he didnt say "I'm all for stregthening gun control, etc". The quip about if he was a democratic governer there "would be more" kinda says it.

• Like 2

We'll never know until something hits his desk. He knows that there is no point in acting pro-gun rights, as the NJ Legislature is by far not. So why blow political capital is what he's problably figuring.

On the flip side, he didnt say "I'm all for stregthening gun control, etc". The quip about if he was a democratic governer there "would be more" kinda says it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gov. Christie is realistic about what he can get passed. He realizes that with a Democratic State Senate he's got no chance of getting better gun legislation passed. He mentioned it right when he talked about if he was a Democrat. At least we know he will more than likely veto any anti-gun legislation that is brought before his desk. However, I do potentially see him giving into the anti-gunners if he feels that he can gain their support in more important issues such as job creation, the death tax issue etc.

He can't cram anything down their throats or they'll do what's being done in Wisconsin right now. We may even get that in our future depending on the issues. I definitely think he's going to have a huge battle with the NJEA.

Christie has his eyes set on a MUCH MUCH higher office than NJ Governor ...... this state is just a stepping stone for him and we are but pebbles to tiptoe around

He will never go on record, as it can now, or in the *future* be used against him....

Politicians are all frauds and charlatans and will NOT SAY or DO ANYTHING that might remotely hinder there ability to stay in office, or advance to another office....

You can make all the inferences you want as to what he did say, by not saying it, but I am afraid that in this state as a gun owner you are a second class citizen.

I also find it odd that no where in the NJ State Constitution does it support the rights of citizens to keep or bear arms.

He did go on the record - years ago, with the AWB - he endorsed it. A leopard does not change its spots - unless it is extremely politically expedient.

Christie has his eyes set on a MUCH MUCH higher office than NJ Governor ...... this state is just a stepping stone for him and we are but pebbles to tiptoe around

He will never go on record, as it can now, or in the *future* be used against him....

Politicians are all frauds and charlatans and will NOT SAY or DO ANYTHING that might remotely hinder there ability to stay in office, or advance to another office....

You can make all the inferences you want as to what he did say, by not saying it, but I am afraid that in this state as a gun owner you are a second class citizen.

I agree, Christie is the cleverest of politicians, he knows being pro gun will not help him get reelected in 2013, so he is going to dodge this issue as best as he can until then. If he does run for POTUS in 2016 he will need to be pro gun to get the Republican nomination. I wouldn't expect to see much out of him until after the 2013 election (if ever).

He saw what happened to Rudy, he knows not to take too many positions that may come back to haunt him.