Sign in to follow this  
almiz111

My Saiga rifle refuses my Saiga mags

I love this forum and thought I would throw more &*^% on the wall and see what sticks. Thanks to all you guys for previously educating me. However The Saiga thing can be confusing. Did you know you could shoot a Saiga with your Saiga over in Mongolia? (sorry)

PART I

My rifle is an SGL24 762x39 Saiga Arsenal Izvesk Izmash Legion sporterized AK. Yah too much info but mostly required to really know what it is.

Being a little slow and not knowing about 15 round mags I bought 2 ea 10 round KVAR/Arsenal mags and zap they were installed. After the light went on I bought 2 ea SUREFIRE 15 rounders. NO WAY these would insert!! I observed the differences, did a little cutting/filing and now they go in just fine. The front tab was too big and was blocked out by the bullet guide (which a Saiga does not have, right?) Also the rear corner was too wide to slide in.

So tell me you have a "Saiga" and I have no clue what you have. SURFIRE told me that Arsenal jumped on the Saiga name bandwagon very late. So that may be the real source of my confusion. Otherwise you have EAA Saiga, RAA Saiga, WASR's, milsurp mags, factory mags and more.

PART II

Now I will buy some metal milsurp 15/30 pinned mags. I ASSUME they will fit my SGL.......... without any mods. Here's the question. When the LEO takes me to the Judge, will he love my mags? As in - what pin? they are 30 period - you could put bubble gum in there, or a stick and they are still 30. Reason + logic = 0 in NJ.

Dunky Shine to all.

your post is kind of confusing.. but the mag thing is pretty simple..

Saiga magazine =/= AK47 magazine

different gun different magazine..

to get a Saiga to take AK47 magazines you must correctly install a bullet guide and file down the mag catch ever so slightly..

if you go slow enough you will reach a point where both Saiga and AK47 magazines can be used..

as far as I am aware your gun is a Saiga.. it has just been converted already...

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

OK. It is clear. My post got an F-. None of my %$#^ stuck to the wall.

I will just have to practice my blogging - ooops sorry this is not a blog. LOL.

And almiz basically what Glen said>>>>

saiga = saiga specific mags

SGL = reg ak mags

Yes understood. Thanks for the input. BUT:

When you buy an SGL they call it a Saiga.

When you read the SGL manual it is called a Saiga.

So sometimes a Saiga is not a Saiga.

a Saiga is always a Saiga..

SGL is saiga. It's just something they made up to differentiate it from unmodified saiga.

I don't get what's so confusing, this was already explained in post #4. Your Saiga rifle is a Saiga rifle. Right now, it is not accepting magazines made for Saiga's because your rifle was modified to take standard AK mags. AK mags and Saiga mags are not the same thing, hence you rifle is not taking Saiga mags.

If I modify my Ruger SR9 to take Glock mags, it is still a Ruger but it will likely not take Ruger mags anymore.

I don't get what's so confusing, this was already explained in post #4. Your Saiga rifle is a Saiga rifle. Right now, it is not accepting magazines made for Saiga's because your rifle was modified to take standard AK mags. AK mags and Saiga mags are not the same thing, hence you rifle is not taking Saiga mags.

If I modify my Ruger SR9 to take Glock mags, it is still a Ruger but it will likely not take Ruger mags anymore.

Wait wait so does your Ruger take saiga or ak mags ?

• Like 1

? Saiga magazine =/= AK47 magazine ?

Did I misunderstand u ?

I elaborated on what I thought u were trying to say....

right and I am not Glenn.. LOL

And almiz basically what Glen said>>>>

your post is kind of confusing.. but the mag thing is pretty simple..

Saiga magazine =/= AK47 magazine

different gun different magazine..

to get a Saiga to take AK47 magazines you must correctly install a bullet guide and file down the mag catch ever so slightly..

if you go slow enough you will reach a point where both Saiga and AK47 magazines can be used..

as far as I am aware your gun is a Saiga.. it has just been converted already...

Yes but how far is too far ?

You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.