Sign in to follow this  
njluger

One of my most fun times at the range

So I went to Cabela's looking for a CZ 452 .22LR this past weekend and I fell victim to an impulse buy on a Marlin 795 instead...I told my wife that I couldn't pass it up due to the deal I got! The rifle was originally $149, marked as on sale for $124. The guy at the gun counter said there was an additional $35 off if I became a Cabela's Club member, so I said, WTH, sure. One new Cabela's credit card later the price was $89. Then he gives me the Marlin Mail-in Rebate form for an additional $25 off. So after all said and done, for $64, I have a pretty damn nice rifle! Can't beat that. At that price, our govt needs follow the Swiss and should buy the Marlin as a trainer rifle for each US Citizen and make firearms training mandatory!

Anyway, I was a little skeptical if this thing would shoot well, but for $64, it's not like I'm out that much if it sucks. I took it to the range along with 200 rounds of cheap Federal 525 bulk pack. I had 2 failures to eject and 1 failure to feed...not bad! I was expecting much worse reliability. Also, I didn't clean the action on this rifle prior to taking it out and I did so when I came home. After taking the action apart - I understand how this rifle could sell for $64 ;) Tooling marks everywhere, all the metal feels like sheet metal, and everything was gritty with oil metal shavings ;) Cleaned it up and everything is much smoother now. I have much higher expectations on reliability the next time I take it out.

Accuracy wise, this things was amazing! The windage on the iron sights was off, but everything was grouping really nice!

My feeling so far...I'm really happy! This thing was so fun to keep shooting! I have high hopes for this to become my Liberty Training Rifle for the upcoming Appleseed Shoots in NJ this year. I ordered some Tech Sights (which are costing me more than the rifle itself!), some Talon swivels, a GI sling, and a couple extra mags. For less than $200, you *can't* go wrong!

I got one at Dicks around Christmas time just as a cheap plinker. I would love a 10/22 someday, but the 795 will hold me over until then. I cleaned mine before taking it to the range, and went through about 100 rounds without one single issue. That's not to say it's dead reliable, but I think you will have more luck when you go out the next time.

I got one at Dicks around Christmas time just as a cheap plinker. I would love a 10/22 someday, but the 795 will hold me over until then. I cleaned mine before taking it to the range, and went through about 100 rounds without one single issue. That's not to say it's dead reliable, but I think you will have more luck when you go out the next time.

Make sure you shoot a 10/22 first, as I didn't like shooting mine... much prefer the 795. As to reliability, I probably clean my 795s every 6-700 rounds and only get the occasional FTE. The guns are only fed Federal bulk packs.

i have a rem 597 and love it and i have the S&W MP15-22 and love it even more both are extremely accurate and i noticed that the marlin is the model #795 and the rem is #597 its the same number just reversed lol :icon_lol:

does cabelas still have this deal or do you know when it lasts until. i might go out a get one along with a few other things ive been wanting to go out there for.

Not sure how long the deal was for. You can give them a call and ask (http://www.cabelas.com/retail-stores-hamburg.shtml). The rifle should be marked as on sale for $124.99 before all the other discounts kick in (mail-in rebate, club credit). I brought it this past Sunday so I think there's a good chance it's still on sale.

btw, does anyone know how to disassemble the magazine for a good cleaning? Looks like it's pinned together and I didn't want to break my only mag taking it apart ;)

I was actually looking at a Ruger 10/22 as well, but I liked how the Marlin felt in hand. Plus the Ruger was $200 - I could by 2 Marlins for that price!

Since I was looking for a rifle to use in an Appleseed shoot, I read that the Marlin comes better prepared out of the box, which means less $$ I need to sink into after-market parts. List of things recommended by the Appleseed folks for the Marlin:

- Rifle ($64)

- Extra mags (found them for $11.51 a pop here: http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Marlin_Bolt_Actions_22LR_10_Round_Magazine_p/mgmar707135.htm)

- GI Sling - $14

- Tech Sights - $69

The Ruger needed a longer list of "must have" upgrades. So your $200 rifle quickly turns into a $300+ rifle :)