Lavid2002

Adjusting grip after eah shot

I shoot a 1911 with home rolled 230 grain lead heads with 4.5 grains of unique behind them. Wolf LR primer.

They are pretty mild mannered loads, but I find myself re-adjusting my hands after each shot. I squeeze the pistol, both thumbs pointing at the target, high grip, left hand over the right, back of the pistol centered in the palm of my right hand. I shoot really well with this gun, and I like to shoot competitions, but I feel like I could be better if I didn't re-position my hands after every shot. When I wear leather shooting gloves it helps the problem, but I still do it every few shots.

I have another set of cheapie plastic grips that came with the gun, I am about to sand them smooth and put some skateboard grip tape on them! I bed that would help.

Ideas?

Thanks guys!

-Dave

Strengthening your grip will help. A hand exerciser or rubber ball is all you need. If you spend a lot of time in the car leave it there and do it while you're driving. You can get in a couple of hundred reps a day this way.

Strengthening your grip will help. A hand exerciser or rubber ball is all you need. If you spend a lot of time in the car leave it there and do it while you're driving. You can get in a couple of hundred reps a day this way.

I workout quite a bit, and I work with my hands so I think strength isn't the problem. I feel like the µs between my hands and the pistol isn't what it should be. The wooden grips are pretty slippery compared to grip tape.

I shoot a 1911 with home rolled 230 grain lead heads with 4.5 grains of unique behind them. Wolf LR primer.

They are pretty mild mannered loads, but I find myself re-adjusting my hands after each shot. I squeeze the pistol, both thumbs pointing at the target, high grip, left hand over the right, back of the pistol centered in the palm of my right hand. I shoot really well with this gun, and I like to shoot competitions, but I feel like I could be better if I didn't re-position my hands after every shot. When I wear leather shooting gloves it helps the problem, but I still do it every few shots.

I have another set of cheapie plastic grips that came with the gun, I am about to sand them smooth and put some skateboard grip tape on them! I bed that would help.

Ideas?

Thanks guys!

-Dave

It isn't the grips, it isn't the gun, it isn't the load, and it isn't the gloves.

It's you. you just have to stop doing it. Pretty much the only way to do that is to practice without doing it.

Unless you are shooting with grips that are very smooth and you are sweating a lot, it's not really about your gear. You could also have a very weak grip on the gun. But based on experience, 90% of the time when people are doing this, it's purely psychological.

As for competing, show up anyway. You are a new shooter, there will be guys there who have been competing and practicing for 5, 10, 20 years plus. There's no realistic way you will show up and start kicking a** and taking names, and nobody is expecting you to. Just relax and have fun.

Plus if you come on out, it's a hell of a lot easier to SHOW someone good technique than to try and describe it via text in a forum.