Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Psych Eval for FID Card

Ok, long story short my buddy had an incident when he was 18 where he had to be admitted to the hospital for saying he was gonna off himself. Big family problems/divorce of his parents spurred it on. Basically young and dumb at the time. So now 5 years later he wants to get into shooting. I made sure he disclosed it and they called him immediately and said he would be denied with a psych eval. They said even then he might be denied. I explained it's gonna be tough and all that fun stuff.

I have seen a few people on here that had to deal with this and they ended up getting their cards and permits after seeing a DR and getting an eval. So the question is... Where did you guys go? Also any advice in general that I can pass on to him. If you don't want to publicize it send me a PM.

Thanks

Tell him to leave NJ. There may be another way, but he's putting up with way too much BS at this point. Just to buy a gun for crying out loud. He has the Scarlet Letters "NJ" on his chest.

He even has his hunting license already. I warned him that he's gonna have to jump thru some hoops. I'm sure he can get it eventually, just gonna be a royal pita

A lawyer may be the only way to go. Or, he may have to let more time pass since his incident. A lot of it is up to the officer in conducting the interview also. A lawyer will know the rite process to resolve the this. There is a big grey area on approval or denying an application.

Ken

if he was admitted, even moving may not help, simply because after the college shootings, states started looking and sharing psych stuff.

I would say the best thing would be to obviously consult attorney, and get a letter from current doctor that he is mentally ok now, along with letters of recommendations.