joejaxx

SAF FILES FEDERAL LAWSUIT AGAINST [NYC] OVER GUN PERMIT FEES

Why do I get so happy whenever I hear the Second Amendment Foundation's name? Here is another example:

Title: SAF FILES FEDERAL LAWSUIT AGAINST BLOOMBERG OVER GUN PERMIT FEES

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg that alleges New York City’s $340 fee for a permit to keep a handgun in the home is “excessive and…impermissibly burdens the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.”

SAF is joined in the lawsuit by the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association and five individual New York City residents. Also named as a defendant in the lawsuit is New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

“Under state law,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb, “the maximum fee for issuing a New York State handgun license is $10, but the law exempts citizens living in New York City. That exemption allows the city to charge an exorbitant fee for the license, which discourages city residents from exercising their civil rights while violating the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Source: http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=351

• Like 1

Does anyone else get crap from the SAF? Don't get me wrong, I love the newsletters. But today I got a dvd in the mail from them. It was one of those "You didn't buy this, so you can either pay for it now or send it back" type deals. Kind of annoying....

Does anyone else get crap from the SAF? Don't get me wrong, I love the newsletters. But today I got a dvd in the mail from them. It was one of those "You didn't buy this, so you can either pay for it now or send it back" type deals. Kind of annoying....

Not from SAF but NRA I did, there was a check box that allowed you to have them not send you anything you didn't request, haven't received anything after that.

Now i went and done it, I'll have some in the mail box just for saying that.

Harry

Excellent. I can't wait to hear NYC's pathetic excuses, just like in the current cases in Chicago and NJ.

Interestingly enough, Bloomberg is for reducing the fees. He suggested this to city government some time ago as a way to avoid this very lawsuit. He was ignored and the result is this SAF lawsuit.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I just learned something new in the NY Times article on the subject. Apparently the fees collected aren't even used to pay for the administrative costs of the application, they are paid to the police pension fund. The only remotely plausible argument the city might have hoped for was to claim the detailed investigation is necessary for public safety and the fee covers that cost. This is so plainly a punitive cost to discourage people from exercising their constitutional right.

I just learned something new in the NY Times article on the subject. Apparently the fees collected aren't even used to pay for the administrative costs of the application, they are paid to the police pension fund. The only remotely plausible argument the city might have hoped for was to claim the detailed investigation is necessary for public safety and the fee covers that cost. This is so plainly a punitive cost to discourage people from exercising their constitutional right.

It wasn't necessarily originally meant to "discourage." They may have just wanted the cash for their pensions, and this was one easy to get it where not too many people really complained.

It wasn't necessarily originally meant to "discourage." They may have just wanted the cash for their pensions, and this was one easy to get it where not too many people really complained.

I don't believe that for a moment. Their goal is to discourage as many people as possible from owning guns, and in lieu of a total ban they simply made the financial cost as prohibitive as possible, on top of the onerous bureaucratic hassle. The windfall of money into the police pension is a bonus.

Whatever the motivation a city cannot raise money by taxing a constitutionally protected right. They can't charge a fee to vote, or to publish a news article, or to own a firearm. If the city had an ounce of decency they will give up this fight but I am sure they will waste unlimited amounts of tax dollars in a futile court battle.

I don't believe that for a moment. Their goal is to discourage as many people as possible from owning guns, and in lieu of a total ban they simply made the financial cost as prohibitive as possible, on top of the onerous bureaucratic hassle. The windfall of money into the police pension is a bonus.

Whatever the motivation a city cannot raise money by taxing a constitutionally protected right. They can't charge a fee to vote, or to publish a news article, or to own a firearm. If the city had an ounce of decency they will give up this fight but I am sure they will waste unlimited amounts of tax dollars in a futile court battle.

Modern day version of Poll Taxes & Literacy tests

Maybe they can sue NJ for the same reason, $18 to apply $15-$20 for NICS. Not nearly as expensive I know, but your still paying to exercise a right.