RecessedFilter

Firearm training out of state, gun laws?

In my search for training academies that are intended for LE/military, I have found that Jason Falla will be holding a class in Long Island for LE and civilians which I would really like to attend.

I am trying to get more info on his class but have come into the issues of gun laws out of state. I know in NY, max mag capacity is 10 rds. Is there any way to get around this? Also, I believe an out-of-stater cannot bring any pistols through NY as well. A pistol is not required for the class, but another class requires one.

Any answers anyone?

In my search for training academies that are intended for LE/military, I have found that Jason Falla will be holding a class in Long Island for LE and civilians which I would really like to attend.

I am trying to get more info on his class but have come into the issues of gun laws out of state. I know in NY, max mag capacity is 10 rds. Is there any way to get around this? Also, I believe an out-of-stater cannot bring any pistols through NY as well. A pistol is not required for the class, but another class requires one.

Any answers anyone?

The core thing is...no pistols in NY by non residents unless it's an NRA sanctioned event or you're an Olympic shooter.

Mag capacities are also firm. Don't tempt fate.

Maybe you can borrow/rent something for the classes?

Not sure about NRA sanctioned, I will have to email him and ask if it is.

I have been on quite a few training academy websites today so I am not completely sure, but I think you may be able to rent an AR for $35 I remember seeing. The whole thing is, I wanted to bring a different rifle and renting an AR and training with it as thoroughly as this class would be would not be that much of an advantage to me if you catch my drift. It would be beneficial I'm sure, but not as much as it would with mine.

Edit: Nevermind about the rental. That was for one of MDTS' course. From the looks of it, I won't be able to take this class :angry:

The funny thing about NY is that they allow pre-ban mags - so pretty much everyone in NY has old school metal 30 rounders for their ARs. You could, in theory, borrow some mags from someone in state for the class so you're not dealing with 10 round mags while everyone else is plugging away with 30s.

I'm pretty sure you're sh*t out of luck on the pistol tho - if I remember correctly you can't even legally borrow someone else's handgun in NY

ETA: Don't discount the training that's available in NJ - may not be big names like Falla, but good solid training none the less.

Edited by Caine

The funny thing about NY is that they allow pre-ban mags - so pretty much everyone in NY has old school metal 30 rounders for their ARs. You could, in theory, borrow some mags from someone in state for the class so you're not dealing with 10 round mags while everyone else is plugging away with 30s.

I'm pretty sure you're sh*t out of look on the pistol tho - if I remember correctly you can't even legally borrow someone else's handgun in NY

ETA: Don't discount the training that's available in NJ - may not be big names like Falla, but good solid training none the less.

I never understood pre-bans, how do you justify that a magazine is made before 19**!?

I've taken a couple classes already in NJ, and they have been great. I'm planning on taking more this year through MDTS and another academy. I'm just trying to look for classes that are more LE/military intensive training that on-duty and retired military/LE host.

Here is something to chew on. I have my NJ and NY state guard cards. When I was considering to get my Armed NY card I had to put in 40+ hours of training, but could not use my own handgun or transport my own pistol to the range. The range was in Yonkers, but nonetheless I am not a NYS resident. If the company I worked doing EP for wanted me to get the Armed Certification, they would have to provide me with a company owned duty weapon and that would be okay...figure that one out. Their insurance premium was too much for them to give me a company owned pistol....big liability. So before starting a gig, I would have to go to the office, grab the firearm and then after my shift return it and repeat the following day. No thanks.

So I will be getting my guard and non-resident CCW in Connecticut and that is going to be easy a pie. NJ and NYS are so frigging unreasonable.

Here is something to chew on. I have my NJ and NY state guard cards. When I was considering to get my Armed NY card I had to put in 40+ hours of training, but could not use my own handgun or transport my own pistol to the range. The range was in Yonkers, but nonetheless I am not a NYS resident. If the company I worked doing EP for wanted me to get the Armed Certification, they would have to provide me with a company owned duty weapon and that would be okay...figure that one out. Their insurance premium was too much for them to give me a company owned pistol....big liability. So before starting a gig, I would have to go to the office, grab the firearm and then after my shift return it and repeat the following day. No thanks.

So am I will be getting my guard and non-resident CCW in Connecticut and that is going to be easy a pie. NJ and NYS are so frigging unreasonable.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Talk about a pain in the a**..

I never understood pre-bans, how do you justify that a magazine is made before 19**!?

I've taken a couple classes already in NJ, and they have been great. I'm planning on taking more this year through MDTS and another academy. I'm just trying to look for classes that are more LE/military intensive training that on-duty and retired military/LE host.

I believe they determine it by the markings on the Floorplate RF, which is why you can replace damaged Bodies. IIRC there were only a few companies that made Magazines before the ban, So, if your mag is from a company like Magpul say, that didnt make them pre-ban, then it's a moot point, GI mags, or the preban israeli thermolds are a different story.

It's pre-94 I think, but I'm not entirely sure how you identify a pre-ban magazine.

I have heard people at NY gun shows discussing how to identify pre ban mags. Basically, from 1994 until 2004 all the standard (hi cap) mags made were labeled "for law enforcement only". Since the sunset of the federal ban it has become a much more of a gray area for them, basically you buy them at your own risk - sound familiar? We're not the only ones with vague laws that could entrap people making every attempt to comply with the law. I have heard guys selling mags say that in many cases you cannot distinguish between pre ban and post ban mags you just have to know :banghead: .

Also, I think NY law is a lot looser when it comes to LEO's buying post ban mags. I have seen them flash ID and buy whatever they want over there, seemed to me like they were buying for private use.