dajonga

Stafford Forge WMA and .17 HMR

As I remember the rule is 22 cal rifles only, the law went into place before the 17 was conceived. I personally wouldn't try it but I believe the WMA's around me are only patrolled during hunting season and have seen people out there with non 22 rifles.

I would think the idea was that you could shoot rimfire. i bring my CZ452 in 17HM2 to Colliers Mills.

I would like th think you are correct, but I wouldn't wan to be the test case.

our local fish and game warden has retired, if wayne could figure out a way to give you a ticket he was all over it.. I am so happy this guy retired because running into him was a hassle..Actually one of the reasons i do not hunt as much as i use to he took the intrest out of it especialy duck hunting..

They are specific in the language they use.

Muzzleloader is for muzzleloading firearms, shotguns with rifled slugs or buckshot and modern .22 caliber rimfire rifles only.

Note they do not say .22 & .17 HMR.

It would be nice, but they don't allow it.

I suspect most of the signs are older than the invention of 17 rimfire. I am not trying to be a rebel or badass, but I will continue to assume that they "mean" rimfire. I will let you know if a Ranger instructs me otherwise.

I suspect most of the signs are older than the invention of 17 rimfire. I am not trying to be a rebel or badass, but I will continue to assume that they "mean" rimfire. I will let you know if a Ranger instructs me otherwise.

That comes off of the Fish and Wildlife site that is updated on a frequent basis. They have updated where you can and can't shot certain weapons but who knows maybe they won't bother you. It would be nice to shoot a 17 at the state ranges.

good idea. thanks jon

To summarize...

The code says .22 rimfire only. The state has not said that .17hmr is permitted, nor have they said that it is illegal. A proposal was made to change the code allowing .17hmr however it is still in it's infant stages. I will allow you guys to make your own decision...