Jsko

March Purchase G43

Well I just picked up my first G43, its a AC44 "j" block matching numbers. I been searching for a while now, and found this on some Michigan Gun Forums. The owner got it from a local Veteran, who brought it back from the war. The vet hasn't changed anything with the gun, except sanding the stock and finishing it. There are no longer any Waffenampts on the stock :icon_cry: . I don't know how else to verify it is the original stock, but it has the age to it. I don't know if I should leave it or try to get it to original appearance? I rather not sand it down, but maybe strip the finish he put on. Opinions would be appreciated, I only mention this since it has already been sanded.

The only thing that i see wrong was the cleaning rod that came with the rifle. It looks like a AK47 cleaning rod. I swapped it out with an extra original cleaning rod I had. Also the stock has a minor crack up toward the cleaning rod, but its not bad for the age of the rifle.

I can take other photos, these were just some quick ones after I got it, I can get some close up if you guys like. Been pretty busy, so haven't really got around to anything with it. Spent a lot of time yesterday cleaning one of the Mosin's I just got.

2012451.jpg

23rqro4.jpg

2r2vz7m.jpg

xnyadz.jpg

2hx2h02.jpg

Hitler's Garand!!!

Great collectors piece. Are you working a WWII rifle collection? Can I give you one of my biggest bonehead events ever.

1996 at a gun show in Georgia, I just got back into rifle and handguns, I came across an SVT40 in what appeared to me to be great condition, not knowing much other then what it was. But using what I knew of old shotguns I realized this gun had original stock, owner showed me all the matching numbers and it came with two mags. I put a $25 deposit down on it to go get more cash... owner was not a dealer, just an older guy looking to move some guns and had a table at this show. He was asking $400 for it. Well I went and got the money, got distracted by a FN HiPower and bought that instead. Old guy wanted to give me my $25 back and I said keep it, I screwed you. I felt horrible for 5 seconds... when the guy that was standing next to me spole up and said he would take it. So the old guy made $425 on the old Russian. Then the new buyer proceeded to educate me, in a nice way mind you, about what a deal I just screwed......

Learned two things that day... when opportunity open a door for you jump through it. And learn before you go and focus on what you want.

I say leave the stock the way it is and try and find an original to replace it with then you always have a beater stock and the original stock.

and axe I almost cried when you wrote out that story. An svt40 for 400 bucks man oh man i don't know how i'd be able to live with myself

Hitler's Garand!!!

Great collectors piece. Are you working a WWII rifle collection? Can I give you one of my biggest bonehead events ever.

1996 at a gun show in Georgia, I just got back into rifle and handguns, I came across an SVT40 in what appeared to me to be great condition, not knowing much other then what it was. But using what I knew of old shotguns I realized this gun had original stock, owner showed me all the matching numbers and it came with two mags. I put a $25 deposit down on it to go get more cash... owner was not a dealer, just an older guy looking to move some guns and had a table at this show. He was asking $400 for it. Well I went and got the money, got distracted by a FN HiPower and bought that instead. Old guy wanted to give me my $25 back and I said keep it, I screwed you. I felt horrible for 5 seconds... when the guy that was standing next to me spole up and said he would take it. So the old guy made $425 on the old Russian. Then the new buyer proceeded to educate me, in a nice way mind you, about what a deal I just screwed......

Learned two things that day... when opportunity open a door for you jump through it. And learn before you go and focus on what you want.

What a deal you missed out there. Yea, I had a few WWII rifles, decided I wanted to expand on it this year. I just picked up some 91/30s from the group buy, and hopefully will have a nice Service Grade M1 here in a month or 2 from CMP, my order was accepted on the 4th.

I say leave the stock the way it is and try and find an original to replace it with then you always have a beater stock and the original stock.

and axe I almost cried when you wrote out that story. An svt40 for 400 bucks man oh man i don't know how i'd be able to live with myself

Yea I want to read more about them, I'm sure I can find a book about them and educate myself. I thought they were unfinished, but I don't want to destroy an original stock trying to get it to original condition even if it was sanded and finished. I know they sell replacement laminated stocks, which are specced out to the original and they offer the stampings, maybe Ill go that route, then worry about it. I need to pick up the Apfeltor Shooter kit also.

Here is the stock i was looking at: http://www.fox-military.com/en/stock.php?id_produkt=10

your best bet would be to buy a WANTED ad up on gunboards. Those guys are crazy collectors and chances are someone might have an original stock just like what your looking for. Always worth a try instead of going aftermarket.

M

The stock looks original to me.It should be laminated wood. The majority of original stocks have been sanded by their owners after the war. If you plan on shooting this rifle make sure you get a shooters kit from ApfeltorMy link and look over all the parts very carefully. These guns are not very safe to use with their original gas system setup.

Damn she is sweet!!! How much the shooters go for nowadays ?

Guess it depends on the shooter, I seen a bubba shooter with a bunch of missing parts and sport stock for 1000. Not sure if they still have it, but it was in upstate NY.

I don't really want to make this a shooter since its all original and matching, but I have to put some rounds through it. Looking on gunbroker for a few months ,I didn't see anything below 2k during that time. Even ones with fake cartouches were going over those prices.

A ok mismatched G43 is around $2k average now a days. I payed about $2k for a blank adapted shooter with 1 mag and a shooters kit with a repro stock on it for WW2 reenacting when the market was high. A lot of these lower end guns have been sold as parts and this has made the market pretty thin and anything near 100% legit is through the roof.