matt6669

Need a competent gunsmith

I need to find a competent gunsmith that will work on milsurp rifles.

I believe I need to get my chamber on my M28/76 slightly reamed out and this is beyond my ability and I also don't feel like spending 100 bucks on a reamer.

If anyone knows of a gunsmith who will work on 7.62x54r please let me know.

Thanks

M

Hey Teddy thanks for the link, I found that website last night too except they don't have 7.62x54r reamers.

I can get a brand new reamer from brownell's for a 100 bucks which I wouldn't mind have I just don't think this is something I should try and tackle myself

Hey Teddy thanks for the link, I found that website last night too except they don't have 7.62x54r reamers.

I can get a brand new reamer from brownell's for a 100 bucks which I wouldn't mind have I just don't think this is something I should try and tackle myself

Hey Bunky--Your reamer is listed inder 7mm: http://www.reamerrentals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7%2E62x54R%2Ef

Very minimal

If you put a magic marker on the shoulder of the case, and then chamber the round, you can see rub marks but it doesn't remove the marker completely so we are talking about very little.

If I take a prvi 7.62x54r round, the first time i chamber it, I have to really push down hard on the bolt handle, and then after that its almost effortless to close the bolt. So that's how little we are talking about.

The gun head spaces perfectly fine so I just need to remove a little from that shoulder area and I should be good to go.

Very minimal

If you put a magic marker on the shoulder of the case, and then chamber the round, you can see rub marks but it doesn't remove the marker completely so we are talking about very little.

If I take a prvi 7.62x54r round, the first time i chamber it, I have to really push down hard on the bolt handle, and then after that its almost effortless to close the bolt. So that's how little we are talking about.

The gun head spaces perfectly fine so I just need to remove a little from that shoulder area and I should be good to go.

Matt I wouldn't touch it. I'd suspect the ammo if it headspaces with a guage. I know this is a question I shouldn't ask but is the chamber clean? Me...I'd scrub it with a M1 chamber brush because I'm sure the Ruskies didn't make one.

The gun has already received a hot water bath followed up with a 12 gauge bore brush attached to a power drill to clean out the lugs and the throat, then I hit it with a 20 ga bore brush on the drill to get the chamber and the shoulder and finally I followed that up with a .357 bore brush on the drive to get the very beginning of the rifling as well as part of the shoulder as well.

My only other option would be to plug the barrel, dump boiling water in again, let that sit for a minute, then unplug the barrel and try and clean it again but I really doubt I have that much crud in there preventing me from chambering a round. I've looked into the chamber a million times with a very bright light, and its spotless to my eye. If it was dirty I would see chunks of crud to keep it from chambering.

My honest opinion is it's a short chamber and needs to be slightly reamed out but sort of the reason why I want to take it to a gunsmith b/c he will be sure and know the plan of attack I'm new to this and im guessing.

And it's also not the ammo b/c I've tried to chamber old milsurp, new production stuff, and I also tried to chamber a newly resized case straight from my press with no bullet in it and it wouldn't chamber without the extreme effort it is definitely NOT the ammo

M

Matt, give Les a call and see if he will help you use a reamer. I can think of no other person that I would trust with a project like that one. He will more than likely be thrilled that you even asked!

Matt

Did you try 54 ammo from different country's LB or HB ?

I say this should chamber 54 !!

Get your dial caliper out and get samples of ammo from the mosin guys you know, and find what country has the smallest bullet diameter.

And Eric the dodge ball game is on,, when you get home :)

Ted I've tried copious amounts of different ammo. The prvi ammo is supposedly reloaded to 7.62x53r standards as well but I call bupkis on that one.

It's not a bullet diameter problem b/c I have the same problem with a resized empty cartridge with no bullet. It's not a head space problem b/c I proved that with the gauges. That leaves a chamber/neck problem which I kinda proved with the marker on the shoulder and it removing the marker when chambered.

stupid gun

Matt I wouldn't touch it. I'd suspect the ammo if it headspaces with a guage. I know this is a question I shouldn't ask but is the chamber clean? Me...I'd scrub it with a M1 chamber brush because I'm sure the Ruskies didn't make one.

I'd second this, it easy to remove material, but putting it back is a problem, lol

I would try and make absolutely sure you need to relieve some material before you did.

You guys know more than I do but I did grow up with my father owning a machine shop so I am very much aware of tolerances, just a quick question, how does everything else work without a round being chambered, everything smooth and there is no restricted movement of anything?

Just getting my feet wet with these older ones myself being I picked up 2 of them last week.

Harry

no restriction when nothing is in the chamber

Only time there is restriction is when a case is in the chamber and really only after the first time it's chambered. After that it's a lot easier.

Ted going on GB now to get the guys name, will send you a pm

M

im bumping this back up as my uber frustration level hits a new high

Read some articles that some of the m28/76's require a shorter case trim length so I trimmed the cases uber short and still have the same non chambering problem.

So I'm pretty freaking convinced the shoulder just isn't set back enough so I guess I have two options.

Option A is to adjust the dies to push the shoulder back and the best way to do that is to machine down the shellplate that holds the case in the press.

Option B is a reamer.

stupid freaking gun

so i said f it, and went to town on that shellholder again with the file and took off a bunch of material and voila the cases now chamber.

Now to get some rounds loaded up and see how they shoot is the next thing. Once they are fireformed to the gun, I am just going to go and neck size and hopefully not have this silly problem anymore.

M

LOL in all reality and I'll probably do this down the road is get a reamer to make the chamber what it's SUPPOSE to be, but for now I will stick with the fubar'd shellholder and order two more shellholders in as spares now

So by the time you get home Eric I will have some reloaded ammo for you to shoot

WIN

215-996-1603 Sean Reed ... formerly? of CDI Custom?

Sean Reed is THE MAN... Career infantryman, special forces and Professional side of the ball, stateside law enforcement and SWAT, and oh yeah Gunsmith of some reknown. If nothing else call and let him tell you, I'm just a kid he did work on for me and he impressed me big time.