Sign in to follow this  
Old School

AR Parts Accu Wedge

OK girls here's the poop! Just came back from the range. NO Accu Wedge! The rifle shot under an inch with my generic hand load which is 24.5 grs of W748 and a 55gr Montana Gold(junk) bullet. Had an ocassional flyer. Will post pics later.

Does upper to lower fit affect accuracy?

The inherent accuracy of the firearm? No. If you put a FF tube on the gun and strap it down by that solidly, the gun will put up the group that it can with the ammo you feed it.

The practical accuracy? Possibly. You make your cheek weld to the lower, and the lower is half the equation in controlling where you point the gun. So slop can creep in.

As for the accu wedge? I wouldn't use it. I have an AR-10 with a pretty sloppy upper/lower fit. At the time the only choices were the JP pin and the accu-wedge. I tried the accu-wedge first. Once you start cutting it down, you cna wind up with a mess, and with a high shelf lower, you can wind up with very little material left and the thing can be easily shredded over the course of disassebly and reassembly. They are cheap, but not cheap enough to be potentially disposable. Also, they always force the upper up, which can leave a gap, and a gap is more space for crud to get in the gun. The pins pull the upper down, always getting you the minimal gap between upper lower. The best fix is an upper and lower that fit properly.

As for the BAD lever, I've had one on my gun that "broke" my gun. What really broke my gun was the fact that my bolt release was not to spec, and I filed and dremeled on it to make the bad fit. Which was a bad idea. Replaced it with a colt part, and the BAD fits perfect and the gun runs just fine. There's nothing about the bad that is going to cause malfunctions without the user or an object interfering with the gun's operation. What it can do is aggravate a gun that has a problem and has marginal operation. There are also guns that just shouldn't run a bad lever. A large number of billet uppers out there don't provide sufficient clearance for the thing to work properly. There are also other BAD-like levers out there that are heavier. heavier levers can indeed cause malfunctions pretty easily. But if your gun is malfunctioning with a BAD lever, and you have an upper with sufficient clearance, your gun likely needs some TLC.

Vlad, I can only speculate because I was really running my mental game for the stage and didnt want to be too distracted. But it looked like the action was bound in some way. And later overhearing some derogatory remarks directed at the bad and the fact he had no further issues with it removed. A quick search on bad lever issues resulted in a lot of hits. Might be worth researching if you want one.

Research was done a while a go, I've been running one of my game gun for over a year with zero issues. All the problems I've seen before and since reported on various forums have been related to out of spec parts in the guns and bad fit of the BAD on the said parts. I still fail to see how activating the bolt release in any way will bind up the action, the mechanics of it elude me. I'd take with a grain of salt whatever people **** about after they screw up a stage, they are plenty capable to try to blame anything in sight, but the most common problems of binding up the action are mags, crappy extractors, and out of spec ammo, the bolt release can't really do much about binding up the action.

At most I can see how someone might have a out of spec bolt release that with the additional weight of the lever may drag a bit on the carrier and maybe slow it down prohibiting the bolt from going fully into battery, but I'm not sure that is actually possible, and if you have that problem, your parts are already marginal.

The worst possible scenario I guess it would be the bolt release moving up and catching the carrier instead of the bold, getting between the two, but the geometry of the carrier and bolt release should just push the bolt release out of the way if that happens.

My best guess is user error.

To expand on your theory, if drag were being applied, all manor of bad things could result. My comments are only my small sample observations. But to me it would seem that the device HAS to open up the potential for reliability issues. Just my speculation absent an in depth look and fielding one.

I'm having trouble seeing how the wedge can pop out and cause havoc.

Pictures are better than words. Also, imagine when the upper block is lowered down and the pin is pushed through it.

P1000123.jpg

P1000124.jpg