Was just looking through my "Glock Store" catalog and I saw a book for sale titled AFTER YOU SHOOT".Its in regard to dialing 911 after you just shot an intruder in your house.How by dialing 911 you have given up your 5th amendment rights but you have no choice but to call.Its kind of screwed up that after defending yourself in your own house you must be careful what you say on a taped line because some DA is going to try and convict you for saving your life or your family's.

because some DA is going to try and convict you for saving your life or your family's.

Because not everybody responds in a proper manner to an intruder. There are people out there who will shoot to prevent their t.v. or computer from being stolen. People who will shoot an intruder that is already running away. Just because you shoot someone who breaks into your house does not mean you didn't do anything wrong. Yes, if you are in fear of your safety and you defend yourself, and you can articulate it as such, then you shouldn't worry about criminal charges.

Because not everybody responds in a proper manner to an intruder. There are people out there who will shoot to prevent their t.v. or computer from being stolen. People who will shoot an intruder that is already running away. Just because you shoot someone who breaks into your house does not mean you didn't do anything wrong. Yes, if you are in fear of your safety and you defend yourself, and you can articulate it as such, then you shouldn't worry about criminal charges.

I am in accord with what you say that there are instances that mistakes are made.I have heard of possible scenarios for example A homeowner has come home to find the electricity cut in his house and a stranger walking around his house with a flashlight.It turns out it was the electrician and his wife had let him in to make the repairs.If someone shoots an intruder who has stealing his computer or TV in the eyes of the law he was at wrong but at the moment how do you know he is just a burglar and not going to harm you.I just find it an extraordinary how much is riding on that first call.

If someone shoots an intruder who has stealing his computer or TV in the eyes of the law he was at wrong but at the moment how do you know he is just a burglar and not going to harm you.

Simply by the way the intruder acts when you confront them. Of course, when you do not know someones intentions, you draw and aim center of mass. How the intruder acts depends on how you respond. If they run, you let them go. If they charge, you shoot. If they sit there and sh*t bricks, tell them in a commanding voice to lay on the ground until the cops get there.

Simply by the way the intruder acts when you confront them. Of course, when you do not know someones intentions, you draw and aim center of mass. How the intruder acts depends on how you respond. If they run, you let them go. If they charge, you shoot. If they sit there and sh*t bricks, tell them in a commanding voice to lay on the ground until the cops get there.

You see that comes with experience and I appreciate that.The three possible reactions make perfect sense.You really need to keep your cool as best you can and I think I'm going to look into courses that focus on home defense.If anyone knows of any respectable courses I would be interested.

What would do if the BG refuses to lie on the ground? I would guess that the proper thing to do at that point would be to do nothing until he does one of the first two things.

Edited to add: I'm taking a Personal Protection in the Home course at GFH next month, hoping to sort all of this out.

If you had to shoot as a last resort to protect yourself or family, You tell them you feared for your life, there was no chance of retreat and you wold like to refrain from further comment because it has been a traumatic experience. The only person you should talk to from there should be a lawyer.

There are many cases that people started talking, said something that was either a heat of the moment utterance, or taken the wrong way. There is no need to resolve the event right then and there.

Harry

Edited to add: I'm taking a Personal Protection in the Home course at GFH next month, hoping to sort all of this out.

GFH is excellent in this regard, and their instructors are LEO's who have real world experience with this. They will give you the knowledge you need.

ETA: Harry is exactly correct. You stopped a threat. FULL STOP, STFU.

I would guess that the proper thing to do at that point would be to do nothing until he does one of the first two things.

This is exactly what you should do. Hopefully you have someone in your house who can dial 911 while you keep your weapon trained COM. Everything stays the same. If they run at you, or produce a weapon....you shoot until the threat no longer exists. If they flee, you let them go. Once they are gone, don't let your guard down. Lock the door and wait (with your weapon) until police arrive. Once police arrive, MAKE SURE that it's actually the police before opening the door (because you will need to put the weapon down before opening the door for them).

If you had to shoot as a last resort to protect yourself or family, The only person you should talk to from there should be a lawyer.

I cut out the middle part for you. Everything else is really unnecessary.

Its very simple. When you call 911, you tell the operator, I

"I shot an intruder in my home. Please send the authorities. I live at such and such. GOOD BYE." And hang up. When the cops get their, you can tell them your name and that "I feared for my life, I would like to speak to my attorney." And you don't speak another word without your lawyer present.

Now if you call while the intruder is still in your home, I'd say "there is an intruder in my home and I fear for my life, please send the authorities to such and such address" then HANG UP!

• Like 1

Because not everybody responds in a proper manner to an intruder. There are people out there who will shoot to prevent their t.v. or computer from being stolen.

I'm warning any possible perp right now, and I don't care if a LEO or anyone else reads this.. I WILL shoot to kill if someone breaks into my house. I will worry about the consequences later. Why am I suppose to care about the law at that moment when the mofo didn't care about it when he/she decided to break in my house? I will fight it all the way to the supreme court and try to set precedence.

Shouldn't everyone have the right to feel safe in their own home?

• Like 2

"I shot an intruder in my home. Please send the authorities. I live at such and such. GOOD BYE." And hang up. When the cops get their, you can tell them your name and that "I feared for my life, I would like to speak to my attorney." And you don't speak another word without your lawyer present.

Now if you call while the intruder is still in your home, I'd say "there is an intruder in my home and I fear for my life, please send the authorities to such and such address" then HANG UP!

This..Neither i, nor anyone i;ve ever worked with is going to have a problem with a Homeowner who tells me, "Look i know you have a job to do, and im not trying to be a pain in the a**, but I'm sorry i cant make any statements about what happened without counsel present"...

• Like 5

Even at that, you're giving to much information. Call 911 and say "a person has been shot" and maybe answer questions about their state of condition, but to answer any questions about what happened or who shot them should not be done without your lawyer present.

I'm warning any possible perp right now, and I don't care if a LEO or anyone else reads this.. I WILL shoot to kill if someone breaks into my house. I will worry about the consequences later. Why am I suppose to care about the law at that moment when the mofo didn't care about it when he/she decided to break in my house? I will fight it all the way to the supreme court and try to set precedence.

Shouldn't everyone have the right to feel safe in their own home?

Or until your lawyer tells you you need to sell your house to continue the fight, at which time you'll probably take a plea bargain to avoid being homeless. Still better than being dead, but you get screwed because some morel less dirt bag ignores common values and some prosecutor ignores your rights. It's a lose-lose situation no matter how you look at it.

Don't buy this book. I mentioned a few lines from the book, and half this forum reamed me out, calling me a troll and a slew of other remarks. If you do buy it, don't mention the content on here I guess. The comment I made that set everyone off is in the book, he says to call your lawyer before calling 911, and have your lawyer call 911. Just the mere mention of that line got a bunch of angry comments.

Nothing substitutes for formal training, but this video by Massad Ayoob is an excellent summary. Rather than a total stonewall, he describes how to establish yourself as the victim of a crime and a cooperative responsible witness WHILE making sure you protect your rights and avoid self incrimination. IMHO, being direct and honest this way is better than the "I have chest pains and have to go to the hospital" strategy which nobody will really believe and establishes yourself as less than 100% honest.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/05/26/video-after-a-real-shooting/

• Like 1

Don't buy this book. I mentioned a few lines from the book, and half this forum reamed me out, calling me a troll and a slew of other remarks. If you do buy it, don't mention the content on here I guess. The comment I made that set everyone off is in the book, he says to call your lawyer before calling 911, and have your lawyer call 911. Just the mere mention of that line got a bunch of angry comments.

Books, Media in general, training items all may have different views on things. Training and research is a lot better than doing nothing, however even though on this forum you will most of the time be steered in the right direction you have to take all this information in it's totality and make you best assessment on what would be best.

Harry

Nothing substitutes for formal training, but this video by Massad Ayoob is an excellent summary. Rather than a total stonewall, he describes how to establish yourself as the victim of a crime and a cooperative responsible witness WHILE making sure you protect your rights and avoid self incrimination. IMHO, being direct and honest this way is better

I agree... +1 for some common sense...

while you certainly can say NOTHING to ANYONE after shooting someone dead... I will error on the side of cooperation.. but not the MOMENT after the shooting.. you are far too amped up to give correct info IMO.. just remember.. you just shot someone dead for the first time (probably) in your life.. you are not going to be mr. calm.. but everyone listening to you WILL be calm.. so everything you blurt out WILL be recorded and remembered.. I think that aiding the police actually helps illustrate your innocence.. you are working with them to explain the reasonable actions you took.. but IMO you NEED to stop.. collect yourself.. gain your composure and take note of EVERYTHING you tell the police.. the reason I say to take a minute is there is only ONE chance to get the truth out.. the first account you ever give will then be measured against every other time you explain the situation.... so I think it important to take notes.. or even record (if possible) your first statement.. so that YOU KNOW exactly what you said in the moment... nothing like telling the police something in a panic.. and then 3 weeks later telling them something totally different..

Books, Media in general, training items all may have different views on things. Training and research is a lot better than doing nothing, however even though on this forum you will most of the time be steered in the right direction you have to take all this information in it's totality and make you best assessment on what would be best.

Harry

True.

i was at the range and heard the story of another guy at the range tell us how his neighbor was sued for shooting two intruders, the one died, the other one didn't, instead he fell out window of the house, cut his Achilles tendon, and ended up suing the homeowner for everything he had, because now he was a cripple.

Hear another story by where i live of a guy who shot two crack heads who were trying to steal jewelry in his house, and it took the stateies 4 hours to get to his house, and he called multiple times as well. And in the end the statie said to him, "look we wanted to make sure they were dead, and long gone dead, it makes life easier for everyone, and no a word else was said. apparently one of the two had a pistol and attempted to draw it, against a 12 ga with buck shot.

For me i don't know what i would do in such a situation, (i do believe it has alot to do with what is happening at the time, what time of the day and what is going on) because it seems either way your screwed. If you let him take your computer you risk the loss of personal and professional data, and Identity theft possibility, and if you shoot him well you are guilt until proven innocent.

i was at the range and heard the story of another guy at the range tell us how his neighbor was sued for shooting two intruders, the one died, the other one didn't, instead he fell out window of the house, cut his Achilles tendon, and ended up suing the homeowner for everything he had, because now he was a cripple.

Hear another story by where i live of a guy who shot two crack heads who were trying to steal jewelry in his house, and it took the stateies 4 hours to get to his house, and he called multiple times as well. And in the end the statie said to him, "look we wanted to make sure they were dead, and long gone dead, it makes life easier for everyone, and no a word else was said. apparently one of the two had a pistol and attempted to draw it, against a 12 ga with buck shot.

For me i don't know what i would do in such a situation, (i do believe it has alot to do with what is happening at the time, what time of the day and what is going on) because it seems either way your screwed. If you let him take your computer you risk the loss of personal and professional data, and Identity theft possibility, and if you shoot him well you are guilt until proven innocent.

someone once told me a story about catching a 20 foot shark in a fresh water stream..

do you know where I am going with this?

• Like 1

someone once told me a story about catching a 20 foot shark in a fresh water stream..

I would comment...but anything I say is Flat Out Wrong...... :icon_e_wink:

I think I met him once, tried to sell me a bridge and when I didn't have enough money he offered up some cheap shark meat. :)

Harry

hey its all stories i have heard, i can't vouch for their integrity, its all "my neighbor hear that joe down the road etic.

hey its all stories i have heard, i can't vouch for their integrity, its all "my neighbor hear that joe down the road etic.

I just made a lengthy post here recently kind of about the same thing.. stories like that are important.. and interesting.. providing they are actually true.. but if they are not true.. then all they do is add to the fear and paranoia that NJ gun owners experience.. if someone breaks into your home.. puts you at risk.. you should only have ONE thing on your mind.. and it shouldn't be this special way to call 911.. or how so and so got sued because he hurt a burglar.. it should instead be self preservation.. stories such as the one you relayed create doubt.. and confusion... and can cloud the mind full of nonsense at a time where one may only have a fraction of a second to react....

not picking on you so much.. as just stating stories like that are not so good for the community (unless they are completely verified)..