tankcommander

FN-49 at Fort Dix

I paid around $350 back in the 90s. I saw the rifle in a Guns and Ammo Surplus special issue and put it on my want it list. I was browsing The Firearms Guild in Rahway one day and bang there it was. I had to get it. Now they go for poor condition $475 to $1000 depends on the type, the rare ones are more. I'll post more pictures if your interested.

TC

I was checking on GunBroker. The action looks something like an SKS. One in really nice shape, chambered in 30 '06 was going for $750.

SKS is short stroke gas piston vs direct impingement of the FN49. Same as AR15, although the FN49 is actually effective. :sarcastichand:

I just picked up one of these, haven't shot it yet. They are nice, solid, well built guns.

Most are in 8mm, there are Venezuelan contract in 7mm mauser as well as Argentine versions (in .308?) that have detachable magazines (that make them of questionable legality in NJ).

SKS is short stroke gas piston vs direct impingement of the FN49. Same as AR15, although the FN49 is actually effective. :sarcastichand:

Glen its not direct impingement it has a piston that pushes an operating rod into the bolt and drives it back. There is no linkage though. It is similar to the SKS but designed before the war. The MAS49-56 is direct gas impingement and it works, wish I hadn't sold mine.

TC

Glen its not direct impingement it has a piston that pushes an operating rod into the bolt and drives it back. There is no linkage though. It is similar to the SKS but designed before the war. The MAS49-56 is direct gas impingement and it works, wish I hadn't sold mine.

TC

It was the little op-rod hole in the receiver and the bolt handle that had me thinking SKS. Cool gun. Looks like they are in the $400-1200 range. Not knowing the particulars, I see that some configurations are more desirable than others.

TC

Whoops! your right.

No wonder the FN-49 is a good rifle :p

I was thinking 30 '06 would be a nice choice. Mostly because I don't want to be involved with yet another caliber.

I've stopped saying that because I know its inevitable that I'll add another caliber. And really whats the big deal, its just ONE more :p

A slightly less expensive version of this rifle can be had as the Egyptian Hakim in 8mm mauser. In comparable condition, a Hakim will generally cost a few hundred less.

Ans if you're just buying surplus, who cares how many calibers you stock? 8mm mauser is pretty damn cheap these days, probably second to 54R on cost.

A slightly less expensive version of this rifle can be had as the Egyptian Hakim in 8mm mauser. In comparable condition, a Hakim will generally cost a few hundred less.

Ans if you're just buying surplus, who cares how many calibers you stock? 8mm mauser is pretty damn cheap these days, probably second to 54R on cost.

True. I wasn't thinking in terms of another surplus caliber. I haven't checked pricing on Mauser ammo lately.

Eqyptian Hakim FOR THE WIN!

I love mine, paid like 320 for mine and its immaculate. The gun is just awesome. It's also obnoxiously loud too so it's a real crowd pleaser as well

Are you still bale to find them for that price? Also, what is the magazine capacity?

10 round mags. If they are older mags they can hold 11 sometimes which still isn't a big deal for NJ

keep your eye on gunbroker is the place that I got mine

Matt, how would you compare that to an SKS?

Matt, how would you compare that to an SKS?

I can tell you about the difference in ammo. 7.62x39 is a creampuff to shoot. It is an intermediate cartridge and is accurate up to 200-300 yards (and surplus is nice and cheap). 8mm Mauser is a full blown rifle cartridge, comparable to 30 '06 with similar recoil characteristics. Apparently it can also be purchased cheaply, but I don't have personal experience with that.

I can tell you that I really enjoy shooting my SKS'. I would love to try an FN49 some time.

two totally different animals and chris probably touched on the most important aspects.

The biggest difference is with an sks you won't take your fingers off, with a Hakim if your not careful you'll either chop your finger off or severely hurt it by its trap door contraption. Both rifles suck to clean IMO but both are a hoot to shoot. An sks feels small to me whereas a Hakim feels just right. It's probably all psychological but that's just me.

In closing I would take a Hakim over an SKS anyday I just enjoy shooting my Hakim a lot more than the SKS. Now an SKS with a scope on it compared to an iron sighted Hakim and I'll take the SKS.

If you ever want to shoot it, I'll bring it to Dix next time I come down to your neck of the woods

Matt

two totally different animals and chris probably touched on the most important aspects.

If you ever want to shoot it, I'll bring it to Dix next time I come down to your neck of the woods

Matt

Cool Matt, thanks!

Sorry but i have always thought the Hakim was just an ugly rifle. I'll take Belgian workmanship over Egyptian any day. They haven't made anything decent since the pyramids :icon_lol: .The Hakim is a copy of the Swiss Ljungman. Its just a matter of taste but i'll keep my Garand and FN-49. We should try to get a day at Range 14 for some fun though.

Comparing an SKS to a Hakim is like comparing a M14 to an M16.

TC

Sorry but i have always thought the Hakim was just an ugly rifle. I'll take Belgian workmanship over Egyptian any day. They haven't made anything decent since the pyramids :icon_lol: .The Hakim is a copy of the Swiss Ljungman. Its just a matter of taste but i'll keep my Garand and FN-49. We should try to get a day at Range 14 for some fun though.

Comparing an SKS to a Hakim is like comparing a M14 to an M16.

TC

Hate to be a nit picker, but the Ljungman was designed and made in Sweden