Ray Ray

STI guns?

Hilton Yam once included Kimbers on his list of recommended duty 1911's, but subsequently changed that guidance based on drastically reduced quality in newer models. http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/07/kimber-warrior.html

Hilton's expectations of a duty gun are far higher than those of a recreational shooter. He and his colleagues put a thousand rounds a week through pistols when most shooters declare a pistol "flawless" after a few hundred rounds. Nevertheless when he has an opinion about what works, or does not, in the 1911 world it is wise to listen.

Go to the 1911 Forums. You'll get your head handed to you for Kimber/Taurus advocacy. :)

Which is why I don't go to those forums (and Glock or XD for that matter as well). On my third Taurus and can't be happier.

I guess. I like subdued styling in classic models. It's just a preference. I would get over it pretty quickly if it was a performer.

STI has big rollmarks. They do not bother me as much as the big wide grip serations milled into the front and rear of the slide. Too big, too wide for me and don't like 'em up front. But I can tolerate the rollmarks. As you noted it is a prefernce.

I agree. I would rather have checkering than the chain link pattern on the grips. Maybe that would add too much to the cost.

It requires less machine time, which I think is the main issue. Less machine time means cheaper, but more importantly it means they can get through their order backlog quicker without expanding production capacity of their facility. So the lower margin guns get the chain link. It is actually pretty darn effective without being abusive to your skin.

I helped one of our members sight-in a Trojan 9mm last night. Got it to shoot the X out of the target. Nice feel to it right out-of-the-box. Grips & checkering were fine for my hands. I don't own a Nine and I'd put that gun on the list for sure. I would have one of you guys help with lightening-up the trigger though, but then I'm spoiled with how crisp my Springfield is after it came back from EGW years ago.

Go to the 1911 Forums. You'll get your head handed to you for Kimber/Taurus advocacy. :)

That is because niether one contributes to their pocket..

they attack anyone who does not advertise on their forum, i have posted a few times on hear when i was repromanded on their forum for stupid ****..

It goes the other way too there. There are two main 1911 forums. Fusion Firearms is a sponsor on one and not the other. If you post any (even constructive) criticism of Bob Serva's work or customer service, it gets taken down on the forum where he is a sponsor. It's a running joke on the other forum.