I saw nothing

More evidence for [needed] CCW in NJ

BTW, if I told you three years ago that a light bulb would be illegal, 10% unemployment would be the norm, Gas would hold steady at $3.75 a gallon, food prices would [over] double and we would be one step away from Socialized medicine you would have called me crazy. Just a heads up and preparing for what will happen very soon.

Incandescent lightbulbs are not illegal (this is a stupid rumor), gas prices don't surprise me anytime we're running 3 simultaneous wars in the Middle East, and I'm not sure that socialized medicine is an indicator for violence in the street.

I don't think that declaring that you are going to break a (serious) state law on a public forum is such a great idea. While I don't worry about most of what you are worried about, I do believe that law enforcement reads forums such as this one to detect illegal behavior, and I know for a fact that it's trivial to get your ID from your postings and the traces you leave when posting. There have been several cases of guys going to jail for illegal firearms acts in NJ that were first detected through postings on myspace, etc.

I think declaring the intention to commit criminal acts has the chance of causing more unhappiness in your life than internet rumors that lightbulbs are illegal.....

• Like 1

Incandescent lightbulbs are not illegal (this is a stupid rumor),

The federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light[30] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

100 watt bulbs are not illegal now, but will be illegal by January.

• Like 1

Man, I hate CFLs. The good thing is that you can still buy 3-way bulbs, appliance bulbs, special bulbs like in all the lights on my ceilings, etc. Hopefully we'll have LED lightbulbs that are affordable, too. I do like the light from LED lightbulbs better than CFLs.

-Dave

Man, I hate CFLs. The good thing is that you can still buy 3-way bulbs, appliance bulbs, special bulbs like in all the lights on my ceilings, etc. Hopefully we'll have LED lightbulbs that are affordable, too. I do like the light from LED lightbulbs better than CFLs.

-Dave

Interesting... slandering again with no responsibility for your MISINFORMATION. Ignorance is bliss...

• Like 1

Interesting... slandering again with no responsibility for your MISINFORMATION. Ignorance is bliss...

Well, your post was factually incorrect, they are not illegal. You can still buy them, you can use them forever, and only a common class of lightbulb will be illegal to make next years. So, your post was completely wrong.

I don't think I slandered you in any way.

I do recommend to you that you don't write that you are thinking about breaking laws on a public forum. That's not slander, it's common sense based on actual cases and the probability that law enforcement is reading what you write. From that post, I can sense that you are probably not very bright, but that's my opinion, not slander. Read a dictionary.

I know most of you on this site share similar concerns. We are all on the same page and are pushing for CCW (shall issue) in NJ. However, this state blatantly does not care about the 2A ruling from the supreme court. Also, I have enclose a few links regarding flash mobs, flash robs and now flash mob ATTACKS. A few years ago I posted that when it comes to this point I would seriously consider carrying. I know I will get the "this is another stupid thread about carrying blah, blah, blah" and I don't really care. I was told a few years ago that I was crazy and that is a long shot to happen and there are people (even with video evidence) will keep making excuses that this is "crazy talk, this has always happened and your getting out of hand". Whatever, I really don't care. But I do go into Philadelphia often and I will carry. I don't care how inconvenient, who thinks what or whatever. it is a Constitutional right (God given) and what I choose to do. I post these attacks to make you aware in the event that you find yourself in this scenario. Also, I believe very soon that radical will start terrorizing neighborhoods... house to house and stuff like that.

Call me crazy, I really don't care as there have been things I have talked and posted about with friends,etc and I have been called "crazy" but they happened. BTW, if I told you three years ago that a light bulb would be illegal, 10% unemployment would be the norm, Gas would hold steady at $3.75 a gallon, food prices would [over] double and we would be one step away from Socialized medicine you would have called me crazy. Just a heads up and preparing for what will happen very soon.

Flash mob

Phila attack

More

SC teen mobbed

Flash Chicago

Many, many more on line.

Though I share some of your concerns, I agree with Melgamatic that it is STUPID to say you intend to break the law on a public forum. If that is in fact what you are saying. If not please clarify.

So you are now painted in a corner if what you are saying you intend to break the law. You carry and go to jail or you don't carry and you are a "punk" because you said you would and you don't.

Just my $.02

Though I share some of your concerns, I agree with Melgamatic that it is STUPID to say you intend to break the law on a public forum. If that is in fact what you are saying. If not please clarify.

So you are now painted in a corner if what you are saying you intend to break the law. You carry and go to jail or you don't carry and you are a "punk" because you said you would and you don't.

Just my $.02

You are correct... edited post. Guess trying to show the urgency and you are correct, that was stupid.

Well, your post was factually incorrect, they are not illegal. You can still buy them, you can use them forever, and only a common class of lightbulb will be illegal to make next years. So, your post was completely wrong.

I don't think I slandered you in any way.

I do recommend to you that you don't write that you are thinking about breaking laws on a public forum. That's not slander, it's common sense based on actual cases and the probability that law enforcement is reading what you write. From that post, I can sense that you are probably not very bright, but that's my opinion, not slander. Read a dictionary.

Duly noted and you are correct.

Bulbs

More

Damn! Now I've gotta run to Costco to pick up a 5 year supply of 100w bulbs.

Rifleman,

I'm one of those guys that looks up quotes because the internet is rife with quotes that make the founders seem very prescient and they are often laden with anachronisms.

Your sig has:

""A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."

- George Washington

But the actual quote is:

"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies."

---George Washington's First Annual Message to Congress (January 8, 1790)

• Like 1

Rifleman,

I'm one of those guys that looks up quotes because the internet is rife with quotes that make the founders seem very prescient and they are often laden with anachronisms.

Whoa. Didn't realize it was bogus. I'll have to fix that.

I should stay out of Bucket 3 and the Politics forums. I try, but sometimes I just can't resist. I wish there was a way for me to hide them, so I never saw topics and was tempted to post.

My apologies for any fuel I threw on the fire. I'll stick to the actual firearms forums where I can contribute more constructively.

I didn't think 100w lightbulbs would really disappear, though. This article has some interesting information about possible new bulbs, and this article has information about bulb hoarding, pretty much confirming how wrong I was. I might buy a few thousand.

I should stay out of Bucket 3 and the Politics forums. I try, but sometimes I just can't resist. I wish there was a way for me to hide them, so I never saw topics and was tempted to post.

My apologies for any fuel I threw on the fire. I'll stick to the actual firearms forums where I can contribute more constructively.

I didn't think 100w lightbulbs would really disappear, though. This article has some interesting information about possible new bulbs, and this article has information about bulb hoarding, pretty much confirming how wrong I was. I might buy a few thousand.

A new Black Market opportunity. If only we could get back our Havana cigars...

I saw a big sign in Home Depot last week saying the incandescent bulbs will stop being sold in January and to check out their nifty new LED bulbs on sale for only $49.

I have a lot of dimmers in my house and will need special bulbs going forward. I'm not worried.

Back on topic,

I saw a post today that I find is interesting. I don't vouch for the source or necessarily agree with what the guy says but there are clearly some solid points he makes about disengaging when possible and avoid "being there" in the first place.

----------

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2011/06/the-mob-attack-what-to-do-to-defend.html

The Flash Mob Attack - How To Defend?

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - All eight suspects are in custody after a brutal attack in Five Points early Monday morning which left the teenage victim in critical condition, according to Columbia police.

CHICAGO, IL (WLS) -- The recent series of mob-style attacks on Chicago's Near North Side mark the first major hurdles facing Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago's new police superintendent Garry McCarthy. The latest attack happened Tuesday night. A witness tells WGN 15-20 teens beat and robbed two people at Chicago and Wabash

AKRON, OH -- Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

NO. VIRGINIA -- Three people were beaten by mobs in Northern Virginia in two separate incidents that occurred within five minutes of each other on Saturday night, authorities said.

These events have consumed the discussion at most self-defense focused websites in the last few weeks. Accompanying the discussion is the usual hand wringing regarding what to do if one is beset by a gang of thugs bent on your destruction. Well, I have my views on this which will no doubt shock the senses of the Doodley Doo Rights of the gun world.

First, this was not some group of young teenaged honor students. In all cases it was a group of urban thugs. Second, they were not there to practice for their debate on the ills of capitalism. Third, they understand only one thing...violence. So understand who they are and be ready to speak their language.

1). Don't go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things. Simple but often ignored. Listen, we do not live in a fair world where everyone respects everyone else. Nor where everyone gets along. You may in fact be totally color-blind in a socio-ethnic sort of way, but not everyone is. So even if your liberal sociology professor thinks it is a cool thing to take a stroll at midnight through a ethnically homogenous part of town (different ethnicity that you), it is still a stupid idea.

2). Always have a method to defend yourself. Even if it is not socially acceptable, or in line with the rules of the day, having some sort of weapon is essential. Right about now, some of the Doodley Doo Rights are screaming that I am telling people to violate the law. Well, go and google these stories. Look at the faces of the victims...specially the one on life support right now. Put yourself in their shoes. Your choice is to arm yourself in violation of the rules, or to take the raping, beating and robbery? What would you choose?

3). Avoid if you can. If you are standing around and see a group of twenty young urban thugs about two blocks away yelling, "kill whitey", and looking at your reflection in the store window, realize that you have not been in the sun in a while, here is my advice - "RUN". If it looks like trouble, it probably is. The gang is not there to debate the effects of american corporate expansion on the development of the urban neighborhoods with you.

4). If you cannot avoid, attack...brutally and viciously. This is not the time to worry about some goofball fear monger's articles about being sued, nor about anything of the sort. It is time to deploy your weapons and attack the leaders. Listen folks, there is disparity of force by the sheer number against you and the knowledge you have based on these prior flash mob events.

If you have limited yourself by the rules and only have a knife, be certain you know how to use it. Make it big enough that it will cause extreme pain and bleeding when you stab the attacker. This is not the place for a legally carried tomato peeler that is two inches or less. You need a fixed or folding knife that is at least 4 inches long.

When the time comes, do not flash the knife like you are some crocodile dundee type guy ("that's not a knife"). Stab the first man deep and hard in his face and move to the next guy and repeat the exercise. Do the same to anyone within reach. When their buddies reel back, screaming in horror and pain, holding their bloodied faces with eyeballs hanging out, it will create hesitation. Use that time to disengage.

If you have a pistol, please make sure it is a modern high capacity weapon with a couple of spare magazines in your belt. The Suarez International company gun, a Glock 17 with three magazines, yields a sum total of 52 rounds. Figure three rounds per man, and you can reduce an angry mob of panga swinging killers into a fleeing group of bloodied bad guys. Draw it and yell, "Get The F*** Back!" If they do, run away. If they do not, shoot the first man in the face. The rest will take care of itself.

It really is very simple. Might you get into trouble? Sure, but being in jail because you stabbed three guys on the street is far better than being in the hospital having holes drilled into your head to relieve the pressure on your brain while the female members of your party are getting HIV exams in the next room. The only way to defeat brutality is with extreme and greater brutality.

Keep that in mind, arm yourself properly and if it comes, be brutal.

• Like 1

Ferfal also had some comments on it. I'm much more aligned with what he has to say on the subject.

I follow him on twitter so that's how I got to these articles...

----------

http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/?p=1442

I wouldn’t so quickly dismiss the very real problem of getting sued if your actions are uncalled for. Whiel I get what Suarez means, not all gun owners are level-headed people with professional firearm’s training on their back and they need to be reminded that if you pull a gun or shoot a bunch of low lives that aren’t clearly threatening your life you will go to jail for a long time. As these flash mobs continue, sooner or later a gun owner will get scared and start shooting when the situation didn’t call for it. Guys, there’s cameras EVERYWHERE today. Make no doubt. Act as if your actions are being filmed. You probably are.

If you pull a gun, be sure that the situation calls for it. Don’t just do it because you don’t like the way a bunch of people look or how they dress or the color of their skin. Agitated group? Already vandalizing stores and harassing people and they are now going for you? Yes, you probably should draw… IF there’s no way out for you to escape. Still hurrying towards you shouting threats in spite of your weapon being drawn and you clearly commanding the nice gentlemen to back off? Don’t wait until you’re on the floor being kicked to death. In spite of being outnumbered if you shoot your attacker the others will more than likely hurry away with haste, remembering that turkey they forgot in the oven. There’s going to be some explanation to be done, but at least you’re alive.

As you learn when you train, you don’t threaten with a gun, you draw as the natural previous step before shooting. By this I mean your actions should go along with dead serious resolve. If the attackers keep moving towards you, you will use your firearm to stop the one that is closest, the one that is more of a threat.

I’ve come across this sort of revolts and mobs hundreds of times. You can’t avoid that in Buenos Aires since its been happening every week, (sometimes on daily basis) because of one excuse or another since the economic collapsed. For those that are half aware, you just don’t get caught by a mob. They are loud, they are numerous and you just see them before they are too close unless you’re totally unaware of your surroundings. Keep your eyes and ears opened and you will not get caught by a mob. If you happen to see a bunch of teenagers rushing into a store you’re in, don’t stay there dumb faced, RUN OUT OF THE PLACE! .As always and especially in this case, awareness will make the big difference. Start shooting into such a crowd is the most desperate last resort.

FerFAL

I saw a big sign in Home Depot last week saying the incandescent bulbs will stop being sold in January and to check out their nifty new LED bulbs on sale for only $49.

I have a lot of dimmers in my house and will need special bulbs going forward. I'm not worried.

I know I have seen them in my Grainger catalog but there are some new florescent bulbs that are compatible with dimmer switches. Not sure if they were tube, spot, or bulb but they are out there and I sure can't see a whole segment of lighting being eliminated when there is technology to keep it going.

Harry

Back on topic, there are a few things, first yes we all agree that the 2A should trump all but this in NJ and only time will tell how this is going to pan out, but from the sounds of it, we are in the best position in over 40 years to have something done to correct that. Not holding my breath, but cautiously optimistic.

As far as being in situations that you may find yourself having to defend yourself, well while something can happen anyplace, it's best not to put yourself in those situations. There is a thing call Street Smarts, that's not how well you can fight, or how well you can defend yourself, but the ability to identify situations and take action to avoid a confrontation in the first place.

Harry

I apologize as well. I am one of those people that is very passionate about freedom and see what is going on around us. 4 years ago i was one of those "brain dead" drones that was "anti-gun", pro government, pro-entitlement, etc. Then in late 2008 my eyes were opened and man oh man I wish I took the "blue pill". If my views seem extreme, I do apologize but I am very passionate about what has happened to our country. The more I study history the more is revealed... once again, I was a "brain dead" history dope. The propaganda is very scary and follows certain regimes of the past. The Romans, Nazi's, Mao and others... they break down families, religion, societies, monetary system...they control food, roads and so forth and finally their means of defense. I found it amazing how the past three administrations have followed this propaganda to a "T". FDR, Wilson and others started this progressive agenda and have almost completed their task. I get frustrated when I tell my friends (trying to help) to stock up on some food, water and if you are comfortable with it get a shot gun. I am told "you are crazy, that's dumb, you worry too much, etc". What is so bad about have a two month supply of food? Does that merit calling me crazy? If this some sort of denial-defense mechanism? What's the big deal, so you end up with some extra food around the house... what seems crazy to me are the people that think that is "crazy". Would you go hiking without a compass, extra food and water? Why do people put money in a savings account? That must be CRAZY talk...right?

At some point our laws are illegal and favor criminals, which put me and my family in danger. Honestly, I am a big softie and would run, be cornered and have no other choice before even thinking about drawing my weapon. There are so many things that can go wrong (innocent by standers, property, my family, etc).

BTW, speaking of corrupt organizations... research "The Home Depot", they give a LOT of support to left leaning radical groups, they do not let workers wear "patriotic pins".

I don't think I am allowed to post those links, If anyone wants the links I will PM them to you.

Not to be a negative nelly, but can you guys take your light bulb discussion into another thread?

I'll have to say that carrying probably isn't a good idea. For now, carrying a knife to cut string and open boxes, and some common sense awareness, is probably the best balance between following the law and protecting your safety. I'd love to have the option of carrying, but it's just not an option (yet) in our state. I'm hoping to hell that it is soon.

Not to be a negative nelly, but can you guys take your light bulb discussion into another thread?

I'll have to say that carrying probably isn't a good idea. For now, carrying a knife to cut string and open boxes, and some common sense awareness, is probably the best balance between following the law and protecting your safety. I'd love to have the option of carrying, but it's just not an option (yet) in our state. I'm hoping to hell that it is soon.

I usually carry a folding utility knife because I use it constantly at work. I had a really good one that I used for years but left it out on the factory floor over night and it disappeared.

I bought a new one from Mcmaster a week ago and it's great! http://www.mcmaster.com/#utility-knives/=cz0knq

The aluminum one listed there is by Gerber, has a nice grip and pocket clip. Comes with the heavy duty blade and you can tell the difference vs a standard utility blade. For the money, it's a great utility knife!

gerberknife.jpg

I'll need to check out the wiring implications and the generator in the bunker.

That advice from Warrior Talk is probably dead-on, but I'm sure it would be hard to go totally brutal, stabbing people in the eye and such, even if one's life were threatened. Furthermore, in the aftermath of such a confrontation, I would sure hate to be in a jail cell with the buddies of the guys I mutilated.

Kind of interesting how this thread has ranged from lightbulbs to how to launch a brutal defense to mob violence.