Pizza Bob

IDPA / Different Venue

AndyB and I just got back from shooting IDPA at Ready, Aim, Fire in Bristol, PA. This was Andy's first time and my first time with a revolver (see, we snuck off to someplace where nobody knows us, so as not to embarrass ourselves). This was a really nice way to get your feet wet, or have the opportunity to get in a little practice.

It is run in an "Open Squad" format. They have all stages (three) set-up on the range. You shoot in the order you arrive. Walk-in, pay, shoot, leave. We arrived at 4:30 and were done with our first time through by 5:15. I shot though the first time with my 1911, to familiarize myself with the stages and determine if I wanted to try this with a revolver. We both decided we wanted to re-enter. Andy shot his DW C-Bob both times. By the time we re-entered, more people showed up, so there was a bit of a wait. We both shot again (the revolver is a hoot) and we were home by 7 PM.

It costs $12 for your initial run-through and $8 for each re-entry. They are run on the second Monday of the month starting at 4 PM and running 'til 9 PM (no entries after 8 PM). Round count for today's exercise was: Stage 1 - 16 rounds / Stage 2 - 12 rounds / Stage 3 - 8 rounds. Stages incorporated shooter movement, cover, moving no-shoot, barricades. This is a great place to try IDPA out with a minimal investment of time and money. Very newbie friendly.

As they say: A good time was had by all!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's a bit of a drive for me, but if I'm going to look in to heading out there. Sounds like less of a social event and more of a purely shooting event. Although I think seeing people you know and shooting the **** with them is as much fun as shooting -0's, it sounds like a good way to get some practice in.

Ready Aim Fire runs a good shoot. There are usually 3-4 stages and generally 50 rounds total. They run it very nicely and when I ran IDPA I tried to model it after their example. For those going to RAF, go early. They tend to get a rush of shooters around 7, the lines can get long. My wife usually works Monday nights so I have not had the chance to go to RAF in over a year :icon_e_sad: