Jersey Joe

Help Identify Brass Reloading Stuff

I bought a sXs 10ga from a forum member and he gave me a bunch of brass shells, wads(card?), and some reloading stuff. Here is a picture of everything and I'm hoping someone can school me on it. Thanks in advance.

IMAG0108.jpg

I'd bet a lot slower than what's around today but if the gun and the loader stay together I would think it might be worth a little more. Nice find.

Harry

I bought a sXs 10ga from a forum member and he gave me a bunch of brass shells, wads(card?), and some reloading stuff. Here is a picture of everything and I'm hoping someone can school me on it. Thanks in advance.

IMAG0108.jpg

I know a nice seasoned citizen who probably could ID everything in the image. I figured-out that the big piece clamps onto a table or work bench and holds the brass shells for reloading. You have a powder measure, a rod to ram the charge, card, wads, shot, etc. all together. My friend Gene is a reloader and also makes black powder shells. He'll know what this stuff gets used for. Only problem is he doesn't have a computer. Would you be willing to drive to the Sayreville area with the stuff so he could look at it and tell you what it is?

Have a great day!

Dave

IMAG0108.jpg

That is really a neat find. The piece that clamps to the bench with the hand-crank is a old-style roll crimper.

Some examples here:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

tips on reloading brass shells:

http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/arp1.gif

http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/arp2.gif

http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/arp3.gif

Guest schutzen-jager

crimper - priming tool - wad guide - powder + shot measure - wad tamper - crimper is only used with paper shells , not for brass -

Thanks guys. Your posts were very helpful. Looks like I'm missing a piece to the crimper, the tube that goes between the lever and the rotating handle. I guess the brass shells are simply primer, powder, wad, shot, card. I have to read more about it before messing with it. I'm not sure which primers to use. The company that sold or made the brass shells is still in business so I'll give them a call. I'll post back after I get into it a little more.

Guest schutzen-jager

Thanks guys. Your posts were very helpful. Looks like I'm missing a piece to the crimper, the tube that goes between the lever and the rotating handle. I guess the brass shells are simply primer, powder, wad, shot, card. I have to read more about it before messing with it. I'm not sure which primers to use. The company that sold or made the brass shells is still in business so I'll give them a call. I'll post back after I get into it a little more.

most brass shells use standard large rifle or large pistol primers - are the shells made by mag tech ? - check out ballistic products web site for brass shell loading data + instructions -

The shells are made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge. Their website says they are lathe turned by a solid bar of brass. Magtech I believe are extruded.

Lather machining seems to me that it would be too touchy with keeping them in tolerances, I'd bet they are just saying lathe but actually made on a Swiss Screw Machine, much more precise and a lot quicker in production, cheaper also being as soon as you have the machine setup it runs itself and the operator only need to check a part here and there for spec as well as change out for a new bar of material.

ETA, just checked out their website, I may be wrong but with CNC this and that it still may be a cross bread of a lathe and Swiss Screw Machine. things may have changed in this new age of CNC controlled machines, a lot different from when I would be at my fathers shop making something inthe 70's and 80's.

Harry

I'm guessing it would be something pretty easy to automate these days. As far as precision I think a lathe could handle it. My father worked as a machinist in the Navy yards of Genoa back in the forties and still works on lathes and milling machines in his basement at age 89. He has done things with lathes that are more pieces of art than anything else. Amazing stuff at incredible tolerances all by hand. I remember helping him with a job he did for Bulova making tiny cams and such for time pieces. I'm babbling now :)

I'm guessing it would be something pretty easy to automate these days. As far as precision I think a lathe could handle it. My father worked as a machinist in the Navy yards of Genoa back in the forties and still works on lathes and milling machines in his basement at age 89. He has done things with lathes that are more pieces of art than anything else. Amazing stuff at incredible tolerances all by hand. I remember helping him with a job he did for Bulova making tiny cams and such for time pieces. I'm babbling now :)

Oh I know you can be accurate with a lathe, it's just a swiss screw machine take a bar of stock, it feed it to the length you set when working off a cam setup a set of tools with come in and machine the stock. The stock it self turns so it's process is that of a lathe, you can have a tool clean out the center, other tools come in from other directions and make other cuts. Basically it is a lather in the way it works, but while not automated like today equipment was very efficient in making the same exact part over and over.

I have to remember that my knowledge of machining is more in line with your fathers and not this new fancy computer controlled stuff.

Harry