GAPP

AR-15 Beginners class August 7, 2011

GAPP will be offering an AR beginners course on August 7, 2011 at Fort Dix Range 14. This course is the NRA First steps rifle course (specifically for the AR rifle platform). It is designed to introduce the new AR-15 owner to their rifle properly and safely. The classroom portion covers the history of the platform, disassembly, reassembly, cleaning, and aftermarket accessories... as well as the laws regarding rifles of this type. Several models are available to look at and will be used for demonstration in the classroom... and one can be provided for use on the range if you dont own an AR yet and just want to learn how to shoot one. After lunch, we head out to the range and zero your rifle... and see if you can hit a steel plate at 200 yards. The course length is approximately 6 hours and the cost is $175. If youre a new AR owner or if you've had one sitting in your safe for a while, come out and learn more about it. For registration info, go to www.gappnj.com and look at our upcoming courses. The class size is limited and two are signed up already so register soon.

So, is this first steps rifle or basic rifle?

Since those are two different courses...

First Steps. NRA Basic rifle is a 14 hour course covering multiple actions and shooting positions. The First Steps course is a firearm specific course that lasts 3 or 4 hours and shooting from the bench rest position only. This is an AR-15 specific course Ive expanded to 6 or 7 hours... we spend 3 or 4 hours in the classroom and then zero each students rifle at 50 yds from the benchrest position. We normally have time to shoot from other positions and plink at water bottles and steel targets from 25 to 200 yds.

And yes, the NRA First Steps Certificate is given at the end of the course.

10" steel plate I think. Cameron can confirm.

Yeah you wish!! Its a 3' round steel plate I got when the gong show went off the air!!

Ok, yeah its actually a 10" steel plate... the 50/150 yd zero I help my students get gives them a dead on hold for 10" steel plates from 0 to 200 yds.