Sign in to follow this  
Mr.G

Yet another OBRPC question - outdoor range

I must have missed this during orientation. Will the outdoor range let you shoot outside the firing line closer to the berm if you are zeroing your rifle for 25 meters? alone at the range of course. I know that all target must be directly behind the berm (correct me if I'm wrong).

And for AR sight picture - does the front sight cover the target or target sitting on top of sight post? For my sig it uses combat sight which covers the target directly. I find dozens of AR zeroing notes but no sight picture.

I've read it somewhere, but I cant find it now, that target should be on top of post. Using a laser bore sight the POI is covered by the front sight (very slightly on the tip) at mechanical zero.

Yes, guilty newbie here :)

I must have missed this during orientation. Will the outdoor range let you shoot outside the firing line closer to the berm if you are zeroing your rifle for 25 meters? alone at the range of course. I know that all target must be directly behind the berm (correct me if I'm wrong).

And for AR sight picture - does the front sight cover the target or target sitting on top of sight post? For my sig it uses combat sight which covers the target directly. I find dozens of AR zeroing notes but no sight picture.

I've read it somewhere, but I cant find it now, that target should be on top of post. Using a laser bore sight the POI is covered by the front sight (very slightly on the tip) at mechanical zero.

Yes, guilty newbie here :)

O-K,

Let me see if we're on the same page: You're asking about setting a target frame at the berm in the slots provided, and then shooting it at LESS than the maximum distance that the Pit is good for. The answer to this is YES, so long as no one else wants to use the 50 yard range #6 or the 100 yard range #7 for the maximum rated distances that those Pits allow. So IF you're sighting-in at 25 yards on the 50 yard range (#6) and someone else shows up and wants to shoot at 50 yards, you're obligated to move back to 50 yards to maintain a safe firing line. That is one of our Range Rules. Ditto for the 100 yard range (#7) on the far right.

It should be noted that you must ALWAYS place your target frames in the slots provided for the 50 & 100 yard ranges and should always place what ever home-made frame you're using in the Pistol Pits up against the berm so the ranges are being used according to the rules.

If you have any questions about anything that you're not sure about, feel free to contact your membership chairman or any member of the Board of Trustees.

As far as where you want to put your post for the AR, some folks sight-in for 100 yards using the 6 o'clock hold at the bottom of the black center of the target. Others want to hit a fly's behind and sight-in "dead-on" putting the post in the middle of the target they wish to shoot. There isn't a right or wrong way, just the way that works for you the best, with the allowance for just what & how you're trying to shoot: clay birds on the berm, shoot & C centers, or maybe a SR-1 100 yard military target we use for High Power League on the second Sunday of each month.

I hope that I've been helpful. See you around the ranges, and please remember to bring & drink plenty of water when you go to the outdoor range.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification Dave. Just want to make sure I'm following rules on my 1st visit.

Nick. I think I'll do that too and prefer that. Just wondering if there is an "official way" but I guess its preference. 1-MOA red dot on rifle and my pistol covers the target so I'll keep it consistent with my rifle irons as well.

Thanks!

Lex

Also, as long as stuff is impacting the berms, you can shoot rifles in the pistol pits. I believe pit 4 & 5 can get you a 25 meter range. IIRC you can get to 32 yards in pit 5 without safety issues.

Also, as long as stuff is impacting the berms, you can shoot rifles in the pistol pits. I believe pit 4 & 5 can get you a 25 meter range. IIRC you can get to 32 yards in pit 5 without safety issues.

Thanks. Good to know. I thought rifle is restricted to 6 and 7. I don't have to measure my distance from berm to 25 up-range then.

I was shooting water bottles filled with water and some food coloring last weekend at the 100 yard range. Didn't hit very many, but was fun and the wife was using the spotting scope to tell me all-about my misses! She took a few shots with the small gun, but didn't want to shoot the larger one.

After that I went over to a 25 yard pistol pit with my shotgun and put 20 rounds into the berm, just trying to break it in. Just shot at some old cardboard targets that were in the garbage pail. Seeing the dirt flying was funny!