sarah

Question about transferring shotgun from inheritance

My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago and there are several shotguns I would like to take posession of. I have a valid FID. My question is if my Grandmother (whom he was still married to and, she, who is still alive) is the inheritor of his estate (as stated in his will), does she have to transfer the shotguns to me via the Certificate of Eligibility. My grandfather has had these guns for years since the 40s or 50s and has no paperwork on them. They are old guns but can still be shot. Another question is in the Certificate of Eligibility, in the Transferor's Section, they want the transferor's FID #. Now if my grandmother is the heir to the estate including his guns how can she transfer them with no FID. BTW, the woman is pushing 80 so no she isn't going to go apply for her FID lol. I hope this wasn't too confusing.

Ps. I'm new to the forums but I'm finding this site EXTREMELY useful, especially with the EXTREMELY CONFUSING nj gun laws :icon_mrgreen:

Yes, your grandmother may transfer the guns to you using your FPID and a certificate of eligibility. One gun a month does not apply to long guns.

The owner/seller/transferor of a long arm does not need to have a firearms Purchaser ID so that field can be left blank.

Hi, Welcome.

Welcome to the forum & sorry for your loss.

What types of shooting do you do and where do you do it?

Lots of friendly folks here that can guest you into private clubs for a "look-see".

Again, welcome!

Dave

As long as Gammy is a NJ resident, a COE is all that is needed.

Paul, is a COE only good for NJ to NJ? I can't go to a gun show in PA and buy a rifle with it or do I just need the COE and my NJ FPID? thx