Sign in to follow this  
diamondd817

Where to go to shoot my shotguns?

All the wildlife management areas (clinton is probably closest, exit 12 on 78) are free if you or someone with you has a valid hunting license. You have to bring everything, thrower, clays, targets, whatever you feel like doing, but you can shoot clays on the trap range or you can go to the 100 yard range and mindlessly waste ammo into targets (bring a stand) or the berm if thats your desire.

Range 14 is Ft Dix

All the wildlife management areas (clinton is probably closest, exit 12 on 78) are free if you or someone with you has a valid hunting license. You have to bring everything, thrower, clays, targets, whatever you feel like doing, but you can shoot clays on the trap range or you can go to the 100 yard range and mindlessly waste ammo into targets (bring a stand) or the berm if thats your desire.

Range 14 is Ft Dix

Check Black River in Morris County has a range but I think you need a hunting license. You could also shoot a shotgun stage at USPSA at Shongum. Heck, shoot the pistol stages while you're there.

Range 14 is Ft Dix

What type of stand would be needed?

Cherry Ridge's shotgun range has a rack for you to set up for patterning. If you go during a weekday it is generally lightly used and you could set up and fire away all you like. Sometimes it is empty.

I do belong to CR. I just never brought my shotguns. Maybe ill try to blast away there during the week as you suggested.

Isn't that the glory of shooting a shotgun at a indoor range, everyone looking around wondering where the "explosion" came from? I used to shoot my shotguns at SS they require buckshot or slug to shoot there,but then I joined CJ.

Isn't that the glory of shooting a shotgun at a indoor range, everyone looking around wondering where the "explosion" came from? I used to shoot my shotguns at SS they require buckshot or slug to shoot there,but then I joined CJ.

Idk. I have like 200 rds of buck, bird, and slugs to fire off. I think people at the indoor range will just get pissed. I know I do when I'm at the BH and someone next to me is firing their ar15 at 20yds and causing all that excessive pressure. Or better, a .308.

Idk. I have like 200 rds of buck, bird, and slugs to fire off. I think people at the indoor range will just get pissed. I know I do when I'm at the BH and someone next to me is firing their ar15 at 20yds and causing all that excessive pressure. Or better, a .308.

So just go shoot at a WMA, its outside, you can shoot all that stuff there, and its free.

Free....... if you have the hunter's safety under your belt. Getting into the class isn't that easy if you don't have the time.

It takes 3 hours, and its only needed once in your lifetime. I dont see the time issue. You will spend that much time just getting to dix and back if you live up north. Plus they are held all over the state, including big places like Dix, cherry ridge, black river, clinton...

If you have the time to go down to dix and shoot how is it hard to find time to go down to dix or any other place and take a free class? There are weekday AM and PM classes along with weekend AM classes all over the state.