GRIZ

US Military Aiming for a New Pistol to Replace the M9

Wow, and the M&P45 is the least popular 45acp handgun in the bunch. XDm, Glock 21, FNP45, 1911 and the SigP220 are better guns than the M&P. But none are made in America.

Glocks are made in Smyrna, GA no?

And FN pistols are made in Colombia, SC right?

Regardless of what WE think is the best gun, the military will pick what THEY think is best.

It is not a popularity contest.

I would like to see the results of all the guns they will evaluate.

Ultimately the contract will go to the best performing and least expensive gun.

Glocks are made in Smyrna, GA no?

And FN pistols are made in Colombia, SC right?

Not sure about FN but I know glocks are imported (not made!) into Smyrna, GA and thats where they get the fixed sights before distribution. Every single glock comes into the country with adjustable sights to beat import laws...lol

10 potential contenders and three of them are GLOCKs..... :sarcastichand:

I told you so..... :sarcastichand:

I am surprised. I like Glocks, but I have always read that the Army and Air Force were the two military branches that insisted on external safeties on their sidearms.

Not sure about FN but I know glocks are imported (not made!) into Smyrna, GA and thats where they get the fixed sights before distribution. Every single glock comes into the country with adjustable sights to beat import laws...lol

Good point. I don't know about FN either but any polymer frame handgun would have the same problems as Glock getting killed on the "point system" on frame material and weight. Glock did convince ATF that their firing system was double action which also saved them. No one had a firing system like Glock back in the 1980s. They also convinced ATF that Glocks had a "target trigger" and "target grips" to make points.

I know Taurus put 3" barrels on in Brazil to get their small frame revolvers in. They took them off in Miami and sent them back to Brazil to make the trip again.

None of this would apply to firearms for the military and LE.

If you make the guns here in the US none of this applies.

It does illustrate how stupid many gun laws are.

My guess is that it will be a variant of the new FNH FNS... maybe an FNS-40 or an FNS-45. I wouldn't discount some variant of the Beretta Storm, either.

I think the best choice would be a Glock 22 or 23 GEN 4 or 5 w/ a thumb safety... perhaps the GI-lock!

Finally. The CEO of Smith Wesson was discussing this a while ago. I am surprised the article is so wrong though. One of the discussions and main points, they want to go to a 45.

Smith Wesson submitting proposal for the M&P 45, which they feel very comfortable will win it out at the end of the day.

Glock 37 in 45 GAP. LOL. :sarcastichand: Glock will do anything to keep this caliber around. (before you say I am shitting on it.... I have 2 guns in 45 gap, including a Glock 37)

The gun will be american, most certainly, and if I had to put money on it... M&P 45, with the FNP 45 coming close second. (nice gun, just tooo big)

If you want good listening material, go listen to the SW conference call from a quarter or two ago.

I think you may be thinking of the Joint Combat pistol contest which fizzled out several years ago. I believe the cliffs notes will be interchangable with this go round though.

I've used 4 of the ten, the M&P is my favorite. Completely reliable, easy to maintain, fits great and is accurate. The Glocks are good too, but I've read a lot about police departments moving on from them, and about some Gen4 reliability issues. The Beretta Px4 rattled a lot for a new gun, the only plus was low recoil/quicker to get back on target.