tanghan

Where can I find more options to try out before a purchase?

Shore Shot is great but you should call to see if they have what you're looking for available to rent. I was there fairly recently and they didn't have the M&P 9 available for rent as it was out being serviced.

Last year, I went to the Pocono Pistol Club as I was in the same boat as you. It's just over the bridge and they had about 3 cabinets of rental gun to choose from if I remember correctly. I know I rented a a M&P 9 Pro series there, 1911's, Glocks (of course), S&W Revolvers, Ruger .22. I'm from North Jersey as well and it's only about 1 hr 15 min drive. They are a little on the expensive side but the staff is very professional.

Here is their website:

http://www.poconopistol.com/

If you have not been there before, you have to take a mandatory safety course and it's about $10.

Ryan

Ryan, thanks for the great details. I'll give that a try.

Last year, I went to the Pocono Pistol Club as I was in the same boat as you. It's just over the bridge and they had about 3 cabinets of rental gun to choose from if I remember correctly. I know I rented a a M&P 9 Pro series there, 1911's, Glocks (of course), S&W Revolvers, Ruger .22. I'm from North Jersey as well and it's only about 1 hr 15 min drive. They are a little on the expensive side but the staff is very professional.

Here is their website:

http://www.poconopistol.com/

If you have not been there before, you have to take a mandatory safety course and it's about $10.

Ryan

Www.southjerseyshootingclub.com they hold plate shoots at least once a month. Show up with ammo and a friendly attitude, people are generally happy to show and share what they have. There is a large selection of guns from the people who attend and ample opportunity to try things out. I have brought friends there who were looking for a gun and they got to check out and shoot a dozen guns.

Just make friends and ask, I'm always happy to share I know many feel the same.

Next shoot is Sunday Sept 11.

Great great suggestions in this thread. =)

I don't know if you are going to find someplace to try the PPQ as it is a new gun and not many people own them, nevermind the fact that it is a Walther. My first impressions of it at Shot Show, I did like it, and the trigger feels interesting, very Sig SRT'ish.

The M&P is a great pistol, with more and more aftermarket support for it. It is a striker fired gun, so a little different. I do have an M&P, however I have never shot it, actually, never picked it up, but it is a terrific Glock alternative, especially if the Glocks just don't sit right in your hand.

Thanks for the invitation, MedicYeti. Very good idea.

Www.southjerseyshootingclub.com they hold plate shoots at least once a month. Show up with ammo and a friendly attitude, people are generally happy to show and share what they have. There is a large selection of guns from the people who attend and ample opportunity to try things out. I have brought friends there who were looking for a gun and they got to check out and shoot a dozen guns.

Just make friends and ask, I'm always happy to share I know many feel the same.

Next shoot is Sunday Sept 11.