ClangClang

Body armor group purchase!

Hey. Guys I own a class III vest and WAS arrested for wearing one but later released from station because they found out I was legally in possession with FID and drivers license. It took many hours and lots of money later to correct that kind of police ignorance. SO if somebody could find the actual law regarding legal possession of civilian of bullet proof vests so we may all print out and carry with us so we can prevent my traumatic event from happening to you guys.

Mike

...SO if somebody could find the actual law regarding legal possession of civilian of bullet proof vests ...

Legal unless worn while "engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit" certain crimes. No requirement for FID or drivers license to own or wear:

2C:39-13. Unlawful use of body vests

1. Unlawful use of body vests. A person is guilty of a crime if he uses or wears a body vest while engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit murder, manslaughter, robbery, sexual assault, burglary, kidnaping, criminal escape or assault under N.J.S.2C:12-1b. Use or wearing a body vest while engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit a crime of the first degree is a crime of the second degree. Otherwise it is a crime of the third degree.

As used in this section, "body vest" means bullet-resistant body armor which is intended to provide ballistic and trauma protection.

L.1983,c.152,s.1; amended 1999, c.306

If you want to search the statutes yourself, use the term "body vest".

• Like 2

Just a heads up... my target date to start collecting payments from interested parties is going to be about 9/21 with the order going in around 9/30.

If people would start PM'ing me their intent to purchase (along with what exactly they want to order) it would help to get a head start on calculating exactly what discount we'll be eligible for.

Please send me:

-Your name

-Your location

-Your desired order. Please include things like "pouches on carrier front and rear for plates along with 2 steel trauma plates"

I wish I had the funds, but I do want to put something out there that many people do not know and there is a HUGE misconception about body armor. Okay first of all there are various threads used to make the vests "bulletproof" and the main two used (I know there are like 5 different materials) are kevlar and spectra. What are the differences? Kevlar the most popular thread used for vests, like most other threads used has a downfall which is that when it is wet it melts meaning if your vest is made of kevlar and it gets wet it WILL melt and IT WILL NOT stop any bullets at all! Although, spectra made by honeywell doesn't have this problem. The thread that is used for spectra was specially designed to be "waterproof" you may sit there and be thinking now wtf are you talking about. Here are the facts and I will further explain this the best way possible. For those of you that fish there is a fishing line by the brand of POWER PRO it is a green line and that is spectra fishing line yes I said it spectra fishing line. That makes the point of it being "waterproof", but there is a catch to the whole idea kelvar is less than 1/3 the cost of spectra so if you buy a cheap vest 9/10 chances are it is made of kevlar and if you buy an expensive vest do the research and make sure it is spectra so that you can infact get it wet and it will not melt on you and prevent "bulletproofing" capabilities. I hope this helps and clears up a couple of things and adds things to think about. And as a side note body sweat does count as water and if the vest is heavily used by a person who sweat alot this MAY damage the vests capabilities. Personally I would only buy new unless the vest was to be bought from someone I personally knew that owned it.

Kevlar the most popular thread used for vests, like most other threads used has a downfall which is that when it is wet it melts meaning if your vest is made of kevlar and it gets wet it WILL melt and IT WILL NOT stop any bullets at all!

Claims such as this are right up there with "The Ginsu knife cuts an iron bolt and can still cut this tomato". Link please to the data.

Here's my data debunking your data:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/kevlar.html "In DuPont's tests, Kevlar remained "virtually unchanged" after exposure to hot water for more than 200 days and its super-strong properties are "virtually unaffected" by moisture."

Someone mentioned exactly what happens through wiki answers, which probably will not prove ti for you, but in the second link Dupont admits that it disintagrates after being exposed to intense heat.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_melting_point_of_Kevlar

Page 10 directly from dupont's website

http://www2.dupont.com/Kevlar/en_US/assets/downloads/KEVLAR_Technical_Guide.pdf