IronPriest

Unregistered M1A receiver

I've got a question. I could wait and find out for myself, but I'm more curious than I am patient.

I had a problem with my M1A and sent it back to Springfield. Their explanation was that it was "out of spec" (which I probably could have told them, based on how the thing operated) and therefore, they replaced the barrel and the receiver. Since they replaced the receiver, my M1A now has a new serial number, which needs to be registered.

My question is... how would I go about doing this? My guess would be to visit my local gun shop (happens to be the place I originally bought the M1A in question) and have them do their paperwork magic. Is this correct?

As a side note, Springfield has a great warranty, but they really need to start test-firing the guns they ship out of their factory.

gun registration is voluntary in NJ.

vol·un·tar·y

   [vol-uhn-ter-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -tar·ies.

adjective

1.done, made, brought about, undertaken, etc., of one's own accord or by free choice: a voluntary contribution.

2.of, pertaining to, or acting in accord with the will: voluntary cooperation.

• Like 4

Well, I came here for help, but I got a nice dictionary definition and a phonetic pronunciation guide for the word "voluntary". I'll have to put it in my book of big words so I don't forget what it means. Thanks for the help.

I guess I'll ask again, just in case someone more helpful and slightly less sarcastic stops by.

What's the need for paperwork, for NICS checks, for gun shops, FID cards, if the gun doesn't need to be registered? Is it legal to own a firearm that isn't tied to your name somehow? Registering guns is voluntary, so I can just have people mail me guns willy-nilly and it would be alright? Someone please explain this to me in a way that doesn't involve tossing a dictionary at me. I apologize for sounding somewhat annoyed, but I kind of am. Thanks in advance for those willing to help.

• Like 2

That paper work is all to determine if you are legally aloud to own a firearm, not for the firearm it's self per say. You cannot have someone just send you a firearm though because that is illegal. It’s kind of hard for me to explain the in and outs of NJ law since they do not currently affect me as I am currently stationed in a different state. The gist of it though is that as long as you have legally acquired the firearm and it is legal to own in NJ, you are good to go.

You do not have to do anything! The gun is legally yours and there is no reason to register it. There are literally millions of guns that were legally purchased/owned here in Jersey long before all these silly laws were enacted.

• Like 1

Alright, thanks everyone.

Sarcasm's fine with me, but I didn't feel it was very helpful in that case. Plus, I was agitated over something else entirely, so you know, you always hurt the ones you love, instead. Ha. Dan, sorry for laying into you a bit.

• Like 1

Alright, thanks everyone.

Sarcasm's fine with me, but I didn't feel it was very helpful in that case. Plus, I was agitated over something else entirely, so you know, you always hurt the ones you love, instead. Ha. Dan, sorry for laying into you a bit.

Sorry buddy. Generally I take a look at post count and I am constantly worried about some "shyt aZz" from the ANTI camp who may come in here trolling for misinformation. Just remember, I'm not paranoid if they really ARE after me... :icon_e_wink:

• Like 1

Sorry buddy. Generally I take a look at post count and I am constantly worried about some "shyt aZz" from the ANTI camp who may come in here trolling for misinformation. Just remember, I'm not paranoid if they really ARE after me... :icon_e_wink:

Yeah this... Sorry but there've been enough trolls lately (and not jsut on this forum) that everyone gets the <_< at first.

You might leave New Jersey one day and move to a state where registration is not voluntary - just a thought.

And at that point (and only at that point) would I recommend registration... Though my first thought was simply who would be stupid enough to move to a state where registration is mandatory???

• Like 2

I'm surprised no one has pointed out that NJ doesn't register long guns. So, there is no way for you to register it with the state anyway. When you purchase a long gun the transaction is recorded in the dealers log book and on a COE only - of which you keep a copy and the seller keeps a copy. The only way the state would have access to the record of the transfer is when they audit the dealers books.

I wouldn't worry to much about it if I were you. SA would have a record in their log books that they sent that rifle to you.

Hey, it's alright, man. Again, sorry about jumping on you. I totally understand about guarding against trolls, even though I haven't been on enough to run into one. Bastids.

Now's good a time as any to update, I suppose. I got the rifle back. Not that I mentioned the reason I sent it back, but SA's fix might be helpful to someone. The bolt runs back and forth smoothly, now, and the magazines go in and out rather easily. Before I sent the m1a back, it took some serious effort to get the magazine seated and then some more effort to rip it back out. If you've got this problem, your receiver might be "out of spec". Again, great warranty, but they're seriously slacking on quality control.